J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Aug 1 2017 1:18 PM by sfranta. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 1 2017 12:02 PM

1980 Yamaha XS850S Aftermarket Headlight will not connect

Hello all!

Quick question to see if anyone can help me out. I have recently bought a Daymaker LED Headlight for my 80' XS850S and when the ignition is in the off position the DRL's stay on. When I turn the key into the on position they turn off. The High and Low beam switches do not work either. I spoke with a buddy of mine and he stated that he had previously done this to an older model motorcycle and what he needed to purchase for it to work was a headlight Resistor to put between the headlight and the stock cable connections of the bike. Would this help my situation? I have checked the wiring and the fuses and they're all good and have power running through it all so I wonder if the low power draw from the LED headlight may be causing the Headlight relay to not switch on. Any help would be amazing! 

Thanks All!

Andy

• Tue, Aug 1 2017 1:18 PM In reply to

Re: 1980 Yamaha XS850S Aftermarket Headlight will not connect

i've never heard of this before, but i have heard of the wires not matching the headlight, since this headlight is not meant for this bike. i would get a test light and identify the wires for low, high, and ground, then apply a 12v power source to the headlight and make sure the high, low and ground wires are in the correct positions on the headlight.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)