J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Aug 9 2017 11:31 AM by sfranta. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 7 2017 3:45 PM

Panhead clutch assembly

Ok all, here's a real head scratcher (for me anyway). Bought a rat panhead 30 years ago. Engine is a 48 and I'm assuming the trans is from the same era. Over the course of the next 10 years I bought a mess of parts to make it at least look close to original - much of it from J&P (thanks guys!). Next came the divorce (insert drama story here) and the half assembled bike sat hidden and tucked away for the next 20 years or so. Finally enough! Got to wrenching a few months back and have spent the past dozen weekends wondering what I did (or not) 25 years ago and why. All has gone well except the clutch. I replaced the primary drive with a Primo belt setup (11mm 1-1/2 belt) and stuck with the stock clutch. Now when I assemble the clutch assembly I cant get near the 31/32 inch clearance required between the pressure plate and the releasing disk. I can screw the three nuts all the way down the studs and not get near the required distance. Someone said that measurement is just a guideline and to just adjust the cluch till it grabs and then adjust accordingly. I've done that nut those nuts are still almost at the very bottom of the threads. All the pics I've seen show maybe four threads showing on the studs. Mine exposes much more. Ive got the five friction plate and four steel plate setup but it looks like I still need more plates! At this point I've got some grab but it doesnt feel quite right. Who's got the answers? Thanks!

• Mon, Aug 7 2017 4:37 PM In reply to

Re: Panhead clutch assembly

Alright - you guys remember the commercial where the guy says "The name is Dummass?" Anyway I just took the clutch apart and found that I have FOUR friction plates and THREE steel plates - like it shows in the manual but different than the illustration I see in the J&P website. Guess I need to add one of each, no?

• Tue, Aug 8 2017 5:28 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,081

Yes. When you set up that belt, you want a slight play in it. When  the bike heats up it will tighten, and cause drag. Just remember, don't get on it till it's warmed up...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Wed, Aug 9 2017 11:31 AM In reply to

1941-1967 originally had what they called a 3 1/2 plate set. three full plates, and one friction only on one side, with three steels. in 68 they came out with the 5/4 setup, which is better, and will retro fit back to 1941

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)