J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Oct 17 2017 10:09 AM by sfranta. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 13 2017 8:08 PM

Tires- 2002 Fatboy

Please tell me the biggest REAR tire possible for my '02 FLSTF (stock), and if it ain't an 80B/150, the specific reason why. Thanx

• Mon, Oct 16 2017 11:46 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,176

Re: Tires- 2002 Fatboy

Staff can answer this for you, but they're not here too often. You can call customer service, and they will help you...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Mon, Oct 16 2017 2:15 PM In reply to

• PaulJr36
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 30 2015
    • Daytona Beach, FL
    • Posts 46
    • Staff

This is probably one of the most frequently asked questions. The reason there isnt a correct answer is because most people arent sitting around trying to fit different size tires onto their bikes. The size all depends on what kind of tire you want to run. Some tire manufacturers have different side wall positions despite being the same size. An example is Michelin Commanders stick out further than Dunlop American Elites. That being side the widest I would recommend is the stock 130/90-16. Tires need clearance. If it is too wide it will rub your swingarm, belt, or other parts. If it has a taller side wall it will change your speedo readout and or contact fenders or the swingarm. Remember if the clearance is tight when you put the tire on it can still cause problems. When the tire heats up from friction along with centrifugal force cause the tire to be larger than when the tire is cold. Also another thing to keep in mind is that wide tires arent necessarily better. It can hurt how the bike handles in corners and you will get worse fuel mileage. Harley designed that bike with the stock tires in mind so it is set up to run off of those. Thats just my two cents.

• Tue, Oct 17 2017 10:09 AM In reply to

another consideration is rim width. the stock 130 tire for that bike wants a 3 inch rim, where the 150 wants a 3.5 inch rim, so even if a 150 will clear rhe belt and fender bolts, a rim change will be required

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)