J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Oct 24 2017 8:29 by sfranta. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 24 2017 6:14

• roots
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 11 2014
    • Posts 60

hey all, looking at a 1984 fxrt

looking for something strong and dependable.. thought that was the fxr.. now i am hearing some things that make me uncomfortable.. anyone out here know anything about them? which yr is best? what problems come with the 84?

• Tue, Oct 24 2017 8:04 In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,122

Re: hey all, looking at a 1984 fxrt

Roots, I've been riding an '88 FXR for the past 10 years, and love it. They are a little on the heavy side, they use the FLH frame. Late 1984 was the first year for the Evolution motor, but they also still made the Shovelhead, (it was the transition year) you can't go wrong with either. Excellent model, and arguably the best handling bike Harley ever made...The only thing about the '84 Evo that I can think of is the longevity of the first generation lifters not being good, but there are after-market lifters that are excellent, or you could go to the Harley gen 2 ones with a heavier axle.  The Shovels will require a little more general maintenance than the Evo, well, because it's a shovel...I've seen Evolutions go 100k without a tear-down. You'd be lucky to get 35k out of a Shovelhead before you'd need a top-end. That vintage Harley had garbage electronic ignitions. Here again, after-market or Harleys Screamin Eagle...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Tue, Oct 24 2017 8:29 In reply to

Re: hey all, looking at a 1984 fxrt

as far as i'm concerned, the fxr was the best cruiser harley ever built. the 84 has the old style clutch and starter, but both are servicable. chances are, the ignition has been upgraded, if not, it's fairly simple to do. the bike is old enough that any problems have probably already been identified and fixed. i'm getting into my 60's now, and have been thinking of getting a lighter bike for non-touring riding, and the fxr would be at the top of my list, if i could find one.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)