J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Mon, Feb 19 2018 9:09 AM by sfranta. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 18 2018 6:28 PM

battery

Should I keep my trickle charger on my battery at all times when not riding.  I just purchased a new Harley, my old bike had 3 batteries in 4 years.

• Sun, Feb 18 2018 6:39 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,669

Re: battery

pearsall - first, welcome to the forums - what part of the country are you from and what did you buy?

The newer charging systems and new batteries are more like what yoiu would find in a typical automobile - two or 3 weeks without use shouldn't make any real difference as long as when you do start the bike it is for more than "just arround the block".

If most of your rides are real short or there are longer times between rides, you might want to consider a trickle charger (make sure you have one with a "shut dow" feature when fully charged)

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Mon, Feb 19 2018 6:31 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,210

Yes to above. But make sure it is a charger/maintainer, the cheap Harbor Freight ones will not charge. You want at least 1 amp...They have them here at J&P...Search 'battery tender'...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Mon, Feb 19 2018 9:09 AM In reply to

on a regular lead-acid battery, i would definitely run a battery tender. however, the new lithium ion batteries should not be charged on a tender, they require a charger that shuts off completely once the battery reaches full charge, see 805-180 for example

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)