J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sun, Jun 17 2018 11:52 AM by rplindsey. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 19 2018 9:26 PM

4 speed shifting problems

Hello. 
    I have a ‘57 panhead with a 4 speed tranny that started acting strangely while shifting. 
    When shifting from 3rd to 4th it requires a lot of effort to the point where I have to reach down to the shift pedal and pull up real hard to engage 4th. 
    Then while shifting back down coming from 3rd to 2nd I have to just about stomp on the pedal to get it back down into 2nd. 
    Shifting up from 1st to 3rd has no problems and shifting down from 4th to 3rd and 2nd to 1st has no problems. 
    Any ideas?? 

I just pulled the transmission today and popped off lid  I was able to freely shift through all gears by hand with lid off, so I don’t believe the problem is in ratchet top  

Thanks!!!

• Tue, Mar 20 2018 4:42 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,633

Re: 4 speed shifting problems

Mfitz1284 - first, welcome to the forums - what part of the country are you from?

I have never had a ratchet top apart, but from what I have seen on other trannies they all have shifting forks and guides they run in - check these for wear - your manual should have the specs for what is acceptable.

Hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Tue, Mar 20 2018 6:12 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,180

Mfitz, nice to have ya here. Shift forks are likely worn/bent...Time for a rebuild...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Sun, Jun 17 2018 11:52 AM In reply to

check the small hat looking things on the shifter dogs. the rachet trans called for a different size than the jocket top.   bushing on the countershaft worn.  bent shifter fork.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)