J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sat, Apr 14 2018 6:49 PM by Brucejag. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 12 2018 7:47 PM

S&S v80 motor

are they any good will they out perform a stock 80, can i use my stock ing

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 5:37 AM In reply to

Re: S&S v80 motor

very good motor. i believe it comes with an S&S ignition, when i get to the shop this morning i can get all the specs for you

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 5:40 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,174

All S&S products are high quality. Their engines are excellent. You can get them with ignition, that I would recommend, but your Harley one will work...As far as out performing, I don't think you'd notice a difference unless you went with a bigger displacment...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 8:51 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,621

Brucejag:

are they any good will they out perform a stock 80, can i use my stock ing

New S&S w/new carb & current technology ignition vs a worn stock motor -  YES, it will outperform

New S&S w/new carb & current technology ignition vs a freshened up stock motor w/street cams - yes, probably a bit
       - 10% more HP/Torque - probably not.

Question becomes, what is happening that you are considering a new one?

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 9:32 AM In reply to

this engine, our 534-816 or 534-815, comes with E carb and 508 cam, which should give it quite a bit more ooomph than a stock engine. comes with super stock ignition, which means it is programmed for break-in, and all engine data can be retrieved and reviewed whenever you want. it also can be programmed for use with a kick starter, which can be handy. i have my ignition programmed for kick start, even though i don't use a kicker. it lets the ignition fire on the first revolution in retarded timing mode, which eliminates kick back and lets the engine start quicker. 8.4:1 compression, so you can run it on pump gas. heads are high flow. this is also available without carb and ignition, but you will lose some performance if you use stock carb and ignition.

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 10:13 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 2,621

Bruce - I just followed Sfranta's link and noticed this 96" (711-971) for only a grand more - 20% more cubes for 20% more $

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 10:31 AM In reply to

the 96 inch is a stump puller. it's two drawbacks are that it's taller, and won't fit in some stock frames, or is a very tight fit, which makes it impossible on some models to remove the rocker covers. the other drawback is it's very long stroke, which limits it's rpm range. lots and lots of midrange torque, though

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 4:58 PM In reply to

My motor n my 95 heritage has 75000 on it still runs great but juggs are starting to leak at base just trying to conserder all op.

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 5:53 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Posts 2,621

my '96 king was leaking a couple of years ago - because they are known to pull the threads from the base when taking them apart, I had the local indy (cause his mechanic has experience putting in heli-coils) replace the base gaskets, quick honing, new rings, slightly updated cam and lifters - about 55k miles (I think - at about 40k miles I converted it to metric).

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 7:09 PM In reply to

once i get it appart i just as well go through the whole motor considering the miles thought for a few more bucks i might consider a new S&S motor. I all ready have a fairely new S&S super carb onthe motor now was wondering if i could use the stock engnition, and how hard would it to set up in a new motor

• Sat, Apr 14 2018 9:38 AM In reply to

most evo's had an external ignition module, and the 95 came with an external module under the seat, if i remember correctly. . the pickup is in the nosecone. the hardest part will be routing the wires onto the nosecone. then you just set the timing with a timing light. use 9100096 to keep from getting a face full of oil. you can make the stock base gaskets last longer by letting the engine warm up for a couple of minutes before putting the engine under load. this allows the cylinders to expand tight against the cases.

• Sat, Apr 14 2018 6:49 PM In reply to

Thanks For all the imput,a bro of mine wants me to get the 111 S&S motor, thats a lot of Motor. He has a 124 ina hard tail its insaine!!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)