J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sat, Apr 28 2018 9:43 AM by floydrose. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 26 2018 8:26 PM

79 Shovel likes to die

So I recently purchased a 79 shovel low rider.  The seller was seemed to be a great guy and knew how to maintain a bike.  This bike was never his daily rider.  I drove her home (about 45 miles) and she left me on the side of the road after about 30 miles.  Engine puttered out and then wouldn't start again.  Soon enough my buddy with a truck provided roadside rescue. At that time we tested the batter and it was dead.  We started thinking about problems with the charging system.  

This shovel is almost all factory inside the chassis.  The battery on the bike was "brand new" according to the seller.  I put it on a trickle/maintainer for 3 days.  I put the battery back in and she started right up.  She sounds great.  I rode her around the block for about 5 mins and she died again.  I then gave another sufficient charge and tested the battery.  All checked out good.  (12.2 V after the ACC on for 2 minutes.  Started engine and got a reading of 14.7 V with 2000-2500 rpms)  TO MY KNOWLEDGE, THAT MEANS THAT THE CHARGING SYSTEM IS FINE AND I DO NOT NEED TO PERFORM TESTS ON THE STATOR PLUG HOLES.  

Now she will start and run, but for only a few minutes.  After she dies, the ignition will turn the engine over, but not catch.  

I am not a master mechanic, but COULD THIS BE FLOODING OF THE ENGINE?  SHOULD I TAKE APART THE S&S CARB AND DIP IT AND TROUBLESHOOT?  

COULD IT BE A FAULTY BATTERY?

WHERE WOULD YOU GO NEXT? I

• Fri, Apr 27 2018 4:53 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,621

Re: 79 Shovel likes to die

brigidTHEshovel - first, welcome to the forums.

On a new-2-u bike, I would recommend getting a baseline - compression test, ensure it has fresh fuel, new plugs, change the fluids - then if / when something happens you have a starting point.

For your problem, when it dies, pull the plugs and check the spark - no spark means something in the ignition, good blue spark and dry means it is probably fuel related, . . .

hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Fri, Apr 27 2018 11:11 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,174

Brigid, this sounds like a bad coil. It is failing when hot...See if there is someone in your area, bike shop, or auto shop that can load test it. An ohm test is inconclusive...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Sat, Apr 28 2018 9:40 AM In reply to

make sure your tank vent is clear also. 

• Sat, Apr 28 2018 9:43 AM In reply to

if your carb was flooding you'd have gas running out the over flow line. i rebuilt my s&s and set the float too high. when i parked it there was a puddle of gas under it. if it'snot leaking gas it's probably not overloading

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)