J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, May 18 2018 3:04 PM by FX. 19 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 17 2018 12:11 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,201

Re: Steve, help

Long shot here. I've had the carb apart on my bench for a day. The float actually felt 'maybe' a little lighter after it's been dry for a day. I weighed it at less than half an ounce. I submerged it in a can of gas and weighted it down. I'll weigh it tomorrow.

This was one of our first thoughts. If this is it you will be the first to know, and I will slam my head in the nearest door...Sometimes we can't see the forest through the trees...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Fri, May 18 2018 7:20 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,201

Damn, I was right to begin with, the float is no heavier from dried out to it's over-night stint submerged in a can of gas...

Back to square one...I refuse to give up, and throw a new carb on it...Bike straight up with float level just below specs, no leak. Bike on side stand, leaks out the over-flow...

I've been try'n to channel Scott, to no avail...

FX

• Fri, May 18 2018 10:05 AM In reply to

ok, so we're back to square one. i assume the float moves easily up and down, what about side to side? there should be little movement side to side, if there is, it could disturb the needle when the bike is tipped. the other variable, is the float bent or warped. if so, the float setting would be inaccurate. the needle and float are the only moving parts, i can't imagine what else would cause this

• Fri, May 18 2018 10:22 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,653

Bob - a thought
    - pull the carb off the intake
    - set the bike on its kickstand
    - use a digital angle finder to determine the lean angle
    - with the bowl off the bottom of the carb, tip the carb to the lean angle and see what might be different

might show something that looks / feels to be within spec

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Fri, May 18 2018 3:04 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,201

Alright guys, I think we might have it, Steve gets a beer, okay, you too Keith for some good ideas. I filed a bit hear and there , the float travel was a really close fit. I tried the level at specs, and it didn't leak on the side stand till I jiggled the bike. So...I set the float level at 0.70/18mm, and it is good. The needle tab may have been binding (how that happened I'll never know). Somebody was in to this carb that had no clue to what they were doing. I don't think the setting at 0.70 is going to matter, but like they say, the ends justify the means.

I hate trying to fix something that someone else screwed up, not knowing what they did...

Thank you Steve, and Keith for the ideas. We'll sleep better tonight...The proof will be in regular use when she gets it on the road...

FX

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2