J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Jun 6 2018 3:28 PM by JAMES.DEAN. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 5 2018 10:40 AM

Timing Question/ TDC/ Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

I just changed my cam chain tensioners, my buddy say the motor has to be in TDC but every forum or video I've seen says otherwise. Would like an experienced answer. This is on an 03 Dyna Super Glide FXD.

• Wed, Jun 6 2018 7:50 AM In reply to

• PaulJr36
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 30 2015
    • Daytona Beach, FL
    • Posts 49
    • Staff

Re: Timing Question/ TDC/ Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

I'm not sure if you did a cam swap or not but but it should be set at TDC on the compression stroke. If you didnt do a cam swap with the tensioner change and you didnt rotate the motor and marked the posittion of the cam then you should be able to put them back on just as they were.

• Wed, Jun 6 2018 3:28 PM In reply to

Re: Timing Question/ TDC/ Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

Jordon, the proper procedure for this is to have the motor at TDCC because the push rods need to be removed so the cam plate/cams can be removed to press out the cams to change the primary and secondary tensioners. All this would be outlined in your service manual. The reason for this is to use the correct tool for removing the cam chain tensioners and not damaging them in the process. Even if you were replacing just the shoes on the secondary you would still need to follow this same procedure. You need to unload the push rods to remove/install.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)