J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sun, Jul 15 2018 6:56 AM by FX. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 22 2018 1:41 PM

• bojake
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 10 2014
    • Posts 78

JP universal switch help

With the switch in the off position, is accessories the terminal in back that lines up with the switch?

• Fri, Jun 22 2018 4:28 PM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,647

Re: JP universal switch help

bo - 3 position switch?

most 3 position switches that have either off-on/acessories-on/acessories/headlights (i.e like my old ironhead) or accessory-off-on/headlights/accessories (like my '96 road king).

hope this helps

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Fri, Jun 22 2018 4:42 PM In reply to

• bojake
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 78

Yep, 3 position. Trying to figure which one's for thebattery.

• Sat, Jun 23 2018 5:29 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Near Sunset at Sunset Beach, O'ahu, HI Oct 23, 15
    • Posts 2,647

what was the part # - mayber there is an instructiion sheet on line

The first tool out of the box should be the "book"  Geeked

• Sat, Jun 23 2018 6:03 AM In reply to

• bojake
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 78

#3799945.  I couldn't find any instructions online,  I wired it up last nite. Magneto/gen powered so I don't think I'll fry any wires.Just gotta be careful. 69 sporty I reserected from a basket.

• Sat, Jun 23 2018 7:30 AM In reply to

i can't get that number to come up, is there another number on it?

• Sun, Jun 24 2018 11:54 AM In reply to

• bojake
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 78

Crap! Sorry about that. Cross eyed fingers. #3700045

• Sun, Jun 24 2018 12:52 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,191

bojake, look on the back of the switch, it should be marked with B that would go to the regulator 'B' (battery), and any of the other terminals/position will go to the lights. Since the mag grounds out to shut off the engine the ignition switch won't work with the mag to shut it off. You may need a separate button, like the bike originally had on the handle bar to shut it down.... Does the mag have a key hole? That will turn off the ability for someone to just kick-and-go...A lock smith can make a key for it. The wire coming off the magnito is the kill wire...you could also use a two terminal key switch to ground, or hide a toggle switch to ground somewhere to shut it off, and so nobody could steal it...The ignition switch will only work the lights, so you really don't need it. You could put a toggle switch on it somewhere to turn on the lights...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Sun, Jun 24 2018 2:48 PM In reply to

• bojake
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 78

Thanks FX.  Looks like I have to rewire the switch. I have a JP kill switch on the Handlebars.It has 3 wires on it.  I was hoping the the 3rd wire on that kill switch would hook up to the switch.

red to mag.

black to ground.

yellow to ? 

Black and red should of been enough without an extra wire to throw a turd on the plate. Ha. By the way, I ain't no electrician.

• Sun, Jun 24 2018 4:12 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,191

Yeah, the third wire is a turd alright. I can't think of a way it would hook to a conventional ignition switch to shut it off. The mag must be grounded out (as in pushing the button) for it not to start, and somone not to be able to swipe it. A regular ig. switch is an open circuit in the off position, you need a closed to ground circuit in the off position. But then if anybody knows how the mag works, all they have to do is cut the wire, and it will start. That's why the original Harley magnitos had a key switch built into the side of the mag, Off is off, and nobody but you with the key could start it..Good luck Jake...Let us know how yer do'n with it...

You could wire the ig switch to kill the engine when you put it in the on position, but then you can't get the key out. Do some googling, get a key switch to ground when in the off position...Something like a lawnmower or tractor switch that uses a magnito will work... Check the Toro site, most all lawnmowers use magnitos, and some have key shut-offs. Then just use a toggle for the lights.

All you can do with the switch you have is turn the lights on and off...

FX

• Sat, Jul 14 2018 11:52 AM In reply to

• bojake
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 78

I checked the wiring on my 77 FLH stock switch.  The hot wire terminal lines up with the key when in the off position.  I hooked up the universal switch the same way. Works. I was then able to wire the the Piglet up using the cartoon wiring diagram for magneto wiring.

Now to figure out the clutch adjustment.  Guess I better start a thread for that.

• Sun, Jul 15 2018 6:56 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,191

Thanks for the update bojake, glad you figured it out. Fire away with the clutch adj. That would be one for Ironhead, and staff, I've lost a lot since my Sportster racing days...

FX

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)