J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sat, Aug 10 2002 4:28 PM by boots99. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 10 2002 3:49 PM

• tankdc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 15 2001
    • Posts 101

Ram Jett clutch retainer?

Does anybody know how to install the ram jett retainer, I bought one , but it didn't come with any instructions? I have a 77 fxe, inner primary is belt driven, bought a new Kevlar Barnett clutch kit, but don't know how to install the retainer.
  • Sat, Aug 10 2002 4:00 PM In reply to

Re: Ram Jett clutch retainer?

I had the same problem. Its easy when you know how. It never seems to come with instructions though. Remove those 3 retaining springs there now. Remove the metal retainer that is over your hub bearings. If you haven't done so, I'd also highly recommend you install "The Big Fix" bearing kit then too and install the thin plastic retainer that comes with that kit, under the Ram Jet retainer. Install the Ram Jet retainer on the hub studs, with the 'A' 'B' 'C' letters facing outward. Toward you. If you have a 5 long stud hub, you will find that you can only get 2 of the A's, B,s or C,s on long studs at the same time. If you have a 3 long stud hub, you'll be able to get all 3 of the same letters on those studs. Put the Ram Jet retainer on in such a way that you get either 2 or 3 as above, of the same letters on the long studs. Start by trying to use the 'C' which are the tightest and see if the lock rings will fit in the gooves in the studs. If they won't go, then try the B and finally the A. The idea is to keep the thing as tight to the Hub as possible. Install the lock rings. Put your clutch back together. Its worth the effort. Big improvement! Hope that helps. They ought to spend $5.00 and re-print some more of those instruction sheets.
  • Sat, Aug 10 2002 4:28 PM In reply to

Re: Ram Jett clutch retainer?

Thanks for the Help,greatly appreciated.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)