J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Dec 18 2002 1:23 PM by traff. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 18 2002 4:30 PM

• ajy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 7 2002
    • Posts 510

Battery Tender

Just purchased a 03 heritage with a battery tender. The bike will be in storage all winter and not started until spring. Is it safe to leave the battery tender hooked up all winter or just charge it in the spring. Thanks in advance
  • Mon, Nov 18 2002 4:36 PM In reply to

Re: Battery Tender

the 03 comes with a sealed battery, if you have the battery tender plus, you can leave it on all winter [it will say the word 'plus' right on the face of the charger] if it is just the standard tender, do not leave it on after the battery is charged, it will damage the battery

• Mon, Nov 18 2002 4:37 PM In reply to

Thanks steve , I will check it out. It's from harley so i'm not sure if it's a plus or not.

• Mon, Nov 18 2002 4:39 PM In reply to

is it a battery tender brand charger? or h-d brand?

• Mon, Nov 18 2002 4:49 PM In reply to

It's harleys name on it but I think it's made by battery tender

• Mon, Nov 18 2002 5:06 PM In reply to

ok, i checked their accessory catalog, they sell the battery tender junior, which is ok for the sealed batteries, but not ideal, it will have both h-d and battery tender on the face of it---the other is slightly larger, and will say global battery charger on it,it does not give me any specs, but does say that it has a float charge mode, so it's probably ok

• Mon, Nov 18 2002 10:18 PM In reply to

I used to buy a new battery for my boat every spring until I discovered the Battery Tender. Now I get about 4 years out of my batteries when connected to the Tender all year round. Later, Jefro.

• Tue, Dec 17 2002 10:41 AM In reply to

Hey Steve, Why is a Battery Tender Jr. not ideal for the sealed HD batteries? Is it good enough to keep a charged battery at charge for the winter months? Thanks, Deuce

• Tue, Dec 17 2002 11:37 AM In reply to

the jr has the float charge feature, which makes it acceptable for sealed batteries, however the tender plus has some additional features like absorption charging and an automatic shutoff to keep a marginal battery from overcharging, and also compensates for temperature in extreme cold

• Wed, Dec 18 2002 11:18 AM In reply to

• traff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 30 2002
    • Posts 23

This topic caught my eye because I recently bought a sealed battery for my 1990 electra-glide. I had a vented battery, and used a Sears battery tender with no problems. The dealership told me not to use it on a sealed battery because it would overcharge the battery and damage it. I can find no one who can verify that. Most people I know use the same tender and have no problems. When I do use the tender and the battery is fully charged it is at approx. 12.9 volts. The red light comes on a says charged. I assume the tender shuts down until the battery drops to a certain voltage and charges again to 12.9 volts. I would like to get a good feeling about what I am doing is ok. Is the dealer just trying to sell me their charger?
  • Wed, Dec 18 2002 11:38 AM In reply to

when fully charged the battery should be at around 14.4 volts, the battery tender plus will then drop to the float charge of 13.2 to keep the battery from gassing and sulfating-if it says plus on the front of it you are ok, the older tenders did not have this feature, and can damage a sealed battery because they keep the voltage too high during the maintenence charge

• Wed, Dec 18 2002 11:40 AM In reply to

• loc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 28 2002
    • Posts 330

does the battery tender jr. work well?
  • Wed, Dec 18 2002 1:23 PM In reply to

• traff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 30 2002
    • Posts 23

So, if my tender charges to approx 13 volts and shuts down I should be ok. Correct?
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)