J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Thu, Oct 26 2017 12:29 PM by FX. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 3 2003 4:01 PM

• cacasal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 19 2002
    • Posts 25

Wire Gauge for Handle bar Controls

The wires for my handle bar controls seem to big. Can someone tell me the correct gauge to use on the various switches on the handlebar controls. 1990 type controls, on 1974 shovel elec.start. Thanks.
  • Sat, Jan 4 2003 10:45 PM In reply to

Re: Wire Gauge for Handle bar Controls

when I did my apes on my sporty I was told that the guage to use (even from a dealer) was 20 guage.however when I looked in my service manual it states 18 and even 16 guage wire.I checked around with others who had done re-wiring with hand controls and EVERYONE of them told me 20 guage so go figure.Anyways I ended up useing 20 guage wire.Hope this helps.... Pappy
  • Sun, Jan 5 2003 12:26 AM In reply to

I just did my apes with 18 gauge. Solder and shrink wrap.
  • Thu, Oct 26 2017 10:14 AM In reply to

On your particular application, they used both 16 ga and 18ga wire of the automotive type with the extremely thick insulation. Your going to want to actually use GXL or TXL wire instead. To correctly determine your actual gauge size, you need to strip off some insulation without cutting any of the wire strands and measure the diameter with either a wire gauge, or calipers. If my memory is correct, 18ga is .0485 and 16ga is .0523. The best place to purchase the correct wire sizes is through 4RCustoms. Additionally, they can also tell you exactly what gauges you'll need for your application.

• Thu, Oct 26 2017 12:29 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 5,106

e, although good information, this thread is 14 years old...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)