J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Thu, Feb 27 2003 12:11 by sfranta. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 26 2003 10:49

CV Carb Slide Drilling

I need some input on the advantages of drilling the slide to an 1/8 inch hole instead of just leaving it alone.Have an '03 FXDWG with a stage 1 Big Sucker and Vance and Hines Staggered Big Shots. Thanks
  • Wed, Feb 26 2003 11:41 In reply to

Re: CV Carb Slide Drilling

if im not mistaken it gives you more throttle response without having to purchase a thunderslide or new carb.nightrider.com has directions on modding the cv carb. ive done it and am pleased with it
  • Thu, Feb 27 2003 6:33 AM In reply to

This is another one of those things that makes squat's worth of difference. If you had a drilled slide and I took it out without telling you I'd bet serious money that you couldn't tell the difference. Some people claim that if you drill the hole just right it works good, if not right the slide will bounce badly and make the bike run funky at certain rpms. But....if you get into this part of the carb there are a couple things to watch for: 1. If you drill the hole make sure you clean up any burs that the drill bit leaves behind. A bur in the right place on that hole can seriously screw with the action of the slide. 2. When you put the white spider looking spring seat thingy(sorry,it's early, can't think what they call it??) back in the slide, make sure none of the legs is covering the hole that you just drilled. This will also screw with the slide action. Tom
  • Thu, Feb 27 2003 6:40 AM In reply to

From more reading other than nightrider.com, it seems that drilling the slide is for a stage 2+ setup BB kit and the like. If your on a stage 1 setup, just shiming the needle and getting the idle adjustment screw set correctly makes more of a difference. how
  • Thu, Feb 27 2003 12:09 In reply to

tom, i believe that is the needle retainer [ i call it the octopus]

• Thu, Feb 27 2003 12:11 In reply to

Yea, that thing.......... Tom

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)