J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Jul 22 2003 12:39 PM by bvaughan. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 8 2003 9:54 AM

REVTEC TEARDOWN

I am looking at building a custom chopper based on a custom chrome kit. I have hooked up with a local engine builder and custom chrome dist. He did not have good things to say about the revtec engine. He suggest that he teardown the engine and verify all clerances and quality of parts and overall build/part health. He will charge $500, money well spent for piece of mind. Has anyone built a custom chrome kit - I need some feedback. Thanks, Woofie
  • Wed, Jul 9 2003 6:26 AM In reply to

• zwilde
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 16 2003
    • Posts 45

Re: REVTEC TEARDOWN

I would not run down the road with the cheapest motor on the planet between my legs....Not to mention all the PROPRIETARY PARTS that are in the RT motors....If I break down..I can walk into any HD shop and get what I need...NOT SO with RT. Not to mention rod twist,& casting porosity..They can replace those 3 times and still make money...Not me, NO WAY. And there really is not much price difference. If I pulled up to park with a Rev-Tech..I'd probably be beat, then laughed at...Any idea who assembles those things in Korea? Edited by - zwilde on 7/9/03 6:29 AM
  • Wed, Jul 9 2003 6:44 AM In reply to

• zwilde
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 16 2003
    • Posts 45

I just don't get why you would spend all that money to build a bike..Then put the cheapest motor available in it.. Just makes no sense to me. I have friends who run other RT parts, with no problems. Just NEVER heard anything good about the motors. Who wants a motor where half the parts won't fit anything else? STUCK with Custom Chrome. WOW.
  • Wed, Jul 9 2003 8:05 AM In reply to

Thanks to all for there input. My guy has seen many problems with the revtec. The problems he is seeing are mostly with tolerances that are too tight and poor heat treating of internals. The wrist pin specifically. The other problem he is finding is that some assembling their bikes are not alligning the engine/trans and rear tire properly and causing their own problems. He will align all critical items with me so all is well. Thanks again.
  • Wed, Jul 9 2003 1:59 PM In reply to

Well, even if they were equal motors, here's the deal the way I see things. RevTechs are made in Taiwan, where they hire most of the employees who work for them, and pay most of their taxes to build their country up. No problem there as far as I'm concerned That's what they are supposed to do. Harley's and S & S are built all or mainly in the U.S. where they hire most of their employees and pay most of their taxes to build our country up. Labor is a lot less expensive in Taiwan then it is in the U.S. This is where most of us work and we like earning those higher wages. It can't work both ways guys. I'm pretty anti-union personally, but still, I don't even see where the arguement is when we have a choice of buying products that support our country versus buying those that support other nations.
  • Wed, Jul 9 2003 2:08 PM In reply to

I've been following this thread with some concern. Reason is, one of my riding buddies is seriously considering buying a new Indian. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they first came out, weren't Indians running a RevTech 100 c.i.? Makes sense as Custom Chrome is located real close to Gilroy. I know Indian claims they now run a proprietary 100 c.i. engine, but other than the flopped heads and the cylinder fins, it still looks like an EVO engine and associated tranny to me. Do current Indians have these same kind problems, or does the re-work done by the factory take care of them, or perhaps they now have another engine provider?
  • Wed, Jul 9 2003 3:07 PM In reply to

My Rev-Tech is great. I have 9000 (hard) miles on her. The things is F__king fast. I have beat 107 S&S's and a 96 shovel. To answer someones question "why put the cheapest motor in your bike". Simple, I pay for my own parts. I build my rigid chopper from the ground up for 13K complete with paint. My Rev-Tech Mill was $4750 for 100 inch. If you shop around you can get them for that. That's $1000 less than a similar S&S. If a grand ain't alot to you that's cool, but a grand is sure a lot to me. As for the Taiwan thing, that really kills me. Where are Harley forks made? How about the Ignition systems? Spark Plugs? So even if you buy the made in America S&S, your bike is gonna have Jap and Taiwan crap on it anyway. Rev-Techs have incredible features like O-ring head and base seals, removable sump plate, reinforced mouting ears, wider lifter block areas, 1 peice cranks. That is why you can't use stock harley stuff. You can't use stock harley parts in a Merch or Patrick motor either.
  • Wed, Jul 9 2003 5:57 PM In reply to

frank thats exactly what im talking about for one nobody who i ride up to and park with is gonna say shit to me or about my bike trust me, and 2, a grand will buy a lot of parts, and 3 like i said b4 i will wait for ya and when you they catch up to me il buy em a beer, YOU SEE IT A HORSEPOWER THING,
  • Wed, Jul 9 2003 6:29 PM In reply to

the truth is revtech really does improve the design with some of the features mentioned earlier, and like i said several posts ago you show me a 100 percent american bike, i not only will buy it but, i will kiss your ass in front of church on sunday and give you 3 days to draw a crowd.say what you like and take notice on how many builders are using rt engines, that should give you a clue rev tech is a force to be recond with now and in the future, ride one thats broke in then post what you think, and like frank mentioned a lot of other manuf. parts are not interchangeable either so go figure.
  • Wed, Jul 9 2003 7:12 PM In reply to

zwilde you can propably look into a body guard if people are beating up on ya thats not good bro.
  • Thu, Jul 10 2003 12:51 PM In reply to

yo mr evans im sorry u feel that way if it wasnt for honda at age 7 i was riding a 50 cc trail bike i rode living shit out of it and i mean daily then i got another 100 and my lil brother then rode the hell out of the 50 a few years, its still in the barn and i bet it will run today, dont mistake im not bashin the usa one bit, its just that riding motorcycles is a way of life for me and if someones riding, there alright in my book, i was on maui last month and rode a scooter. if that makes me unpatriotic, whatever. i had a blast, went all over on that thing,and nobody gave me a bad time for riding it, and i damn sure didnt give a damn if they didnt like it, if they didnt they did not say it to my face, which would have ended up with me in maui county jail. and them a trip to the hospital, myself id rather be in jail than the hospital. I.M.H.O. I always say ride and let ride. i can understand you may have had a bad experience with maybe a honda rider or other rice burner rider, but you posted in your other post that someone would slap you around for riding a revtech powered bike, i suggest you never let any one talk about you or slap you around because of what you r riding bro, show some dignity and at least fight back then they might not dogg you next time.
  • Thu, Jul 10 2003 6:10 PM In reply to

Not to digress, but this topic is getting way away from the original post...if I don't even consider that RevTech motors are made in Taiwan (which I do consider, but I'll ignore that for this moment), I still wouldn't buy one personally. Why? Well, when they have been around at least 20 years with a PROVEN track record and proven parts availability (what's gonna' happen when mainland China takes over Taiwan???), then maybe I'll change my mind. But right now those motors have had a proven history of develpement problems, and they use too many unique parts for my tastes. The guy asked if he should pay $500 to have the RevTech motor inspected, blueprinted...if he's gonna' do that, why bother? Just put the money towards upgrading to an S&S motor. And in answer to the trouble free histroy of the first Gilroy "Indian" motors, those were S&S motors...I can't swear to it, but I am pretty sure that Indian never ran a RevTech motor. As I said earlier, this is my opinion. I ain't saying those of you with RevTech motors ain't having a good time on them...and I ain't saying the newest version isn't built better than the motors of two years ago. But I am clearly saying I believe the S&S is a better motor all the way around, the S&S has a proven history, the S&S company has staying power. And I still say I would not buy a Revtech motor...about the only way I'd run one right now is if somebody gave one to me for free...and now that it's been mentioned, before I ran it, I'd sell it on E-Bay and put that money towards an S&S ;-) Edited by - Hawg Ryder on 7/10/03 6:12 PM
  • Thu, Jul 10 2003 7:46 PM In reply to

Nice post Hawg- I would like to add the following: 1. BUY AMERICAN 2. Indian started producing bikes again in 1999 with S&S engines. They are now making their own 100 ci "power plus" engines, but some of the less expensive bikes still come with 88 ci S&S engines. 3. Horsetooth- chill out man, this isn't the W.W.F.- if you put somebody in the hospital these days, that Honda 50 will be the only thing you have left to ride after the dudes lawyers are done with you.
  • Thu, Jul 10 2003 9:08 PM In reply to

im chilled as a matter of fact im sitting here drowning a icy margarita, i guess im really saying a heck of a lot of builders are using revs now. thats all in saying. go figure thanks everyone
  • Fri, Jul 11 2003 1:21 AM In reply to

And they will keep using them as long as people keep buying them. If people want to call their bike "American Made" then they should do everything possible to make it as much American as it can be. I don't know enough about engines to get into the quality issue, but "BUY AMERICAN" is a no-brainer to me.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >