J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Thu, Dec 25 2003 6:59 AM by 2002dyna. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 23 2003 12:15 PM

• ajy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 7 2002
    • Posts 510

FXD Oil Temp Gauge

Does anyone make a reliable, classic looking analog oil temp gauge for TC88 Dynas? ('02FXDWG). The digital LED gauges from H-D seem too "modern" on a classic bike. I'd like the old fashioned needle type, to match my analog oil pressure gauge. I've heard that an analog gauge is not possible for the Dyna since the "stem" has to hang free for insertion into the tank; but if they can make a digital one to work, why not an analog? ...seems like most of the nice OEM and aftermarket accessories are made for soft tails.
  • Tue, Dec 23 2003 1:04 PM In reply to

Re: FXD Oil Temp Gauge

by definition, the digital uses electric current, so all you have to do is get a signal to the head to get a reading. the analog has to actually have the heat energy from the oil make contact with the dipstick, which in turn has to have a good enough physical contact with the gauge in order to work. the dipstick on your model has a swivel in it, which prevents the heat from traveling to the actual gauge

• Tue, Dec 23 2003 1:50 PM In reply to

ajy. Never seen one. The digital gauge is expenise and problem prone. They make a analog gauge for the dressers. I don't know if J-P has them. Prob is the sender. Not sure if there's a place to thread it in on the Dynas. the dresser unit threads into a port next to the oil drain. The gauge is the same size as the units in the dash on dressers and the oil temp gauge is meant to replace the worthless air temp gauge. You can see it on the Wallys cycle site (sorry J-P) I imagine you could mount it like a oil pressure gauge on the rocker cover. Bob
  • Tue, Dec 23 2003 1:57 PM In reply to

i can get one like that, but i assumed he wanted one that fit in the tank fill neck. you could use that sender, but don't know where you could put the actual gauge

• Tue, Dec 23 2003 2:06 PM In reply to

Say Steve, does anyone make a oil temp gauge that works for the screw in type oil tank plug? I've seen several that work on a push in type, but I have a small screw in plug on my center fill oil tank. Its either 5/8" or 3/4" thread size. It would be nice to have a little temp gauge there.
  • Tue, Dec 23 2003 2:14 PM In reply to

• ajy
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 7 2002
    • Posts 510

sfranta: you read me correctly; I was looking for one to replace my factory dipstick. I could almost convince myself to buy the OEM digital if it only looked a little less "modern". It might look appropriate on the V Rods, but not on a more traditional cruiser (IMHO, anyway) Stay safe, and a Merry Christmas to all brethren (and sistren, for that matter). ajy
  • Tue, Dec 23 2003 2:56 PM In reply to

boots, i haven't seen it if there is one

• Tue, Dec 23 2003 3:08 PM In reply to

ajy, everyone I know who has one of the HD digital dipstick gauges on the dresser models says they are junk. $100.00 bucks and they don't work. I guess the batteries go bad or lose connection or something. Bob
  • Wed, Dec 24 2003 6:43 AM In reply to

if your running a cooler where you have exposed oil lines,,willer makes a little thig the you can mount a sender in. their set up uses an digital guage. try eguages.com to see if you can find the small sender and an analog guage. i have the web site for e-guages saved,,ill go look for it and post the correct thing if i have it wrong.
  • Wed, Dec 24 2003 6:49 AM In reply to

it is wimmer who makes the sender mounting thing for the sender and it is egauges.com that has a zillion different gauges. i would go for a marine gauge because they are made for wet/bad outside conditions.
  • Wed, Dec 24 2003 7:06 AM In reply to

go to wimmermachine.com. they have all kinds of digital and analog temp gauges, senders and mounts etc. they have a store south of allentown pa., if you are in the north-east and near there.
  • Wed, Dec 24 2003 8:10 AM In reply to

Go pull the dipstick out of your TC88 Dyna(or FLH),stare at it for awhile and you will see why nobody makes the analog temp gauge. See the hinge joint that allows the dipstick to hang straight down into the oil tank?? That's why. An analog gauge is a mechanical device, actually it's a tube with fluid in it that expands to turn the needle on the gauge. It has to be a sealed system, can't be hinged. As for the HD digital sticks........ I had one on my '01 Dyna, worked just fine for the 13000 mles I rode it, never failed. In fact, when I had the ProPipe on it the rear pipe was actually(or VERY nearly) touching the body of the gauge. If it was going to fail that would have done it. Tom Edited by - tdkkart on 12/24/03 8:13 AM
  • Thu, Dec 25 2003 6:59 AM In reply to

there are electrical analog guages that are powered by a sender. the problem with the hd dyna dipstick guage is, how do you get the electrical to the guage. so they use a digital, powered by a batt.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)