J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Sep 29 2017 12:55 PM by sfranta. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 12 2004 1:14 AM

• houdini
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 18 2003
    • Posts 21

Motorcycle Salvage Yards?

Anyone know of any motocycle salvage yards for harley davidson? Ever since my hog was stolen I've been buying bits and pieces here and there to build my own.... but trying to cut the cost down to as little as possible... Any info would help a former rider trying to get back on the road again!!!! Anywhere in California,Nevada area... Thanks, Houdini
  • Fri, Mar 12 2004 5:42 AM In reply to

Re: Motorcycle Salvage Yards?

there getting very hard to find anymore..... your best bet is going to be E-BAY.....
  • Fri, Mar 12 2004 7:47 AM In reply to

Try this place: The Parts Hunter 507-934-7278 e-mail: pthunter@mctcnet.net website: www.theparthunter.com The owners name is Keith Hunter and he's a great guy. I was looking for a front fender for my '77 FXS and had two of them on hand. I bought one and he shipped it to me. Total cost was $20. He's located in St. Peter MN.
  • Fri, Mar 12 2004 7:58 AM In reply to

try insurance companys , i know several guys who have got complete wrecked bikes and rebuilt them.
  • Fri, Mar 12 2004 8:04 AM In reply to

The Part Hunter is really good. Check out www.elvisplace.com too. Deuce
  • Fri, Mar 12 2004 8:10 AM In reply to

Swap meets are good for rebuilding/building bikes. One of my neighbors bought about two thirds of his bike that way. He got the frame front fork assembly and just a ton of stuff from a guy who did the ol' perverbial "I think I'll build a bike" deal. Once that guy figured out it wasn't so easy, he sold the stuff for abour $.25 on the dollar. He's got a custom hot rod and less than 10G tied up in it. Later.......Mike Edited by - souleman on 3/12/04 8:12 AM
  • Fri, Mar 12 2004 9:05 AM In reply to

• 02fxst
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 25 2002
    • Posts 81

Try Copart.com they sell alot of builders by on-line auctions all over the U.S.. It has big draw back though as you need to be a member to bid and there is a cost involved.
  • Fri, Mar 12 2004 7:52 PM In reply to

Bent Bike in Seattle.

• Fri, Mar 12 2004 11:16 PM In reply to

• houdini
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21

Thanks alot for all the replies..I'm looking forward to getting back on the road...... I've done some searches on ebay... But dont you think getting a salvagable HD from somewhere is an easier way to register and license??? rather than build from scratch?? I have a couple of buddies that have built custome bikes and from what I can see it's a big hassle to register a custom built bike..... I'm really strapped for funds right now and trying to save as much money as possible...alot of my ridding brothers have come together and chipped in to help me get back on the road again..so that's a little comfort... So any ideas or tips would be really helpful.
  • Sat, Mar 13 2004 2:59 AM In reply to

• houdini
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21

houdini, try calling an insurance company and getting quotes on a custom build and an H.D. and then answer your own question. I plan to build another bike and would definately start with a H.D. and have the frame stretched a couple inches by a pro and go from there.The moco may not call it a HD but DMV & insurance companies will. You can have a Chevy Nova with a Keith Black,a hydro and all new suspension and it is still a Chevy but change 3 things on a Harley and the moco says you can't call it a H.D. any longer. They stop people from calling them a HD on E-bay but yet they say they have no control over their dealers. Hmmmm. In a way I guess they MAY help the buyer if he is too dumb to find out if it is a stock bike or not. Good luck with your replacement.
  • Sat, Mar 13 2004 8:31 AM In reply to

Hey I just remembered another one. It's called Crash Toys. I think they're located up here around the Twin Cities.Their web address is www.crashtoys.com. They are located in Stillwater, Minnesota. I'm sure they ship. Later.......Mike
  • Sat, Mar 13 2004 10:27 AM In reply to

Yep what heartage said. Look at used bikes a Harley holds it value better than any custom bike.Even if it's a salvage title it is still a harley.And it is easier to insure
  • Sat, Mar 13 2004 11:56 PM In reply to

Sorry about the bike, There are some places in Belen, NM that can get some of the unusual parts Good Luck Let me know if ? Good Luck on this Cecil

• Thu, Jul 15 2010 7:52 AM In reply to

• zr1rider
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 22 2009
    • Posts 3

Here is a list of salvage yards. Just click on auction yard name to get location adress. You may buy any salvage bike or vehicle with easyexport.us / salvage cars, trucks, bikes for sale

• Thu, Jul 15 2010 1:21 PM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2004
    • Posts 5,093

Here is a link for salvage yard listing. http://www.moto-directory.com/salvage.asp

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death......

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >