J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, Dec 21 2004 11:37 AM by ridinray. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 3 2004 10:28 PM

TC88 Cam Install

Does anyone have the address to a good web site that shows this procedure?? I'm pertty sure that I want to tackle this, just wanted to see some pictures to eleavite some of my conserns. I already have a manual and am planning on buying the "special" tools. I have a 2003 Deuce and plan on using Andrews cams and gears. No more chains all gears. With S&S pushrod kit or Harley quick change. All info is appreciated!! Edited by tyson1989 on 12/3/2004 10:33:04 PM

• Sat, Dec 4 2004 7:34 AM In reply to

Re: TC88 Cam Install

there's a complete "How to" for this project on www.hotrodbikes.com..in their Tech section..I'm currently having the work done at a shop, as advised by the article, mostly because there are special tools required and some machining to allow clearance inside the case for the new cams...like everyone here says it's not as simple on the 88's as it was on the Evo's.

It's all about the ride 

• Sat, Dec 4 2004 12:03 PM In reply to

Getting ready to help a partner do his 99 FXDL TC-88 A motor. Sounds like he's doing about the same parts swap and gear drive. Maybe if ya start soon, you can update me on any problems encountered. Would appreciate it since 73 is the newest HD's worked on by me. It's too friggin cold here now to start, and his parts probably won't show up till next week. Lol (luck) :-) Keep it in the wind, Ray.

• Sat, Dec 4 2004 2:25 PM In reply to

• ponec
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 19 2004
    • Posts 153

Check out last month's issue of Hot Rod Bikes or Hot Bikes (Can't remember which at the moment.) There was a decent article on installing cams into a TC88 using Jims tools. Step-by-step with lots of pictures. Hope this helps, -Ron
  • Sat, Dec 4 2004 2:27 PM In reply to

• phatm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 20 2003
    • ohio
    • Posts 271

Try this there are no pics. but it's pretty detailed. http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdtccaminstall00.htm Mitch Here's the good one i was looking for very detailed lots of pics. http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/camguidepage1.htm Edited by phatm on 12/4/2004 2:34:33 PM Edited by phatm on 12/4/2004 2:34:50 PM
  • Wed, Dec 15 2004 10:04 AM In reply to

• phatm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • ohio
    • Posts 271

tyson, how did your cam change go? did the pic's help? i was thinking about doing my cams this winter and was just wondering how it went. mitch
  • Wed, Dec 15 2004 11:35 AM In reply to

Tyson, will help my friend this weekend doing his TC-88. See above input. Borrowed tools from another forum rider. Did you do yours yet? Did you run into any difficulities besides the obvious? Any feed back would be appreciated. Looks and sounds pretty simple with the tools and book. Keep ya updated after we're done, in case you haven't done yours yet. Keep it in the wind, later, Ray.

• Wed, Dec 15 2004 2:18 PM In reply to

• phatm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • ohio
    • Posts 271

Ray, I have not done this yet but looking at the pic's on the web addresses I posted earlier it look doable. let us know how it comes out, also what cams you use. thanks, Mitch
  • Wed, Dec 15 2004 8:04 PM In reply to

Mitch, thanks for the reply. We're using S&S gear drive cams (510G) with the Delkron cam plate. I agree, looks simple enough. Will update after we're finished, this weekend. Later, Ray.

• Sun, Dec 19 2004 8:51 PM In reply to

Have not done it yet. Had a bad month, but the above info has answered a lot of my questions. Thanx

• Tue, Dec 21 2004 11:37 AM In reply to

Just did the cam replacement on my partners scoot. No problems, once into it, just basic motorwork. I consider myself a shadetree (backyard) mechanic, not a factory trained wrench, just someone who's been messing with HD's since the 70's. But you do need the special tools. I can sometimes half-ass some removal and istall tools, but the specific tools for the job really help make the job go sweetly. Only referance we used was the service manual, and install tech sheets that came with the individual parts we replaced. Any info I can help anybody with, just ask. Take care, and in the wind soon, later....Ray.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)