J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Feb 25 2005 9:54 by carburris. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 19 2005 8:02 PM

Widest tire / wheel combo, '02 Softail??

Surely someone has done this...LOL despite the myths and urban legend I've recently endured, I came here to where the rubber meets the road of knowledge..... Can anyone tell me what the widest tire and rim my stock '02 Softail will accept? And what you have to do to accomplish the install? I love the look of the low profile 55 / 180's....I've got a color shop paint scheme that I want to keep in tact, but I really want a fatter rear tire. Thanks, DLR

• Sun, Feb 20 2005 10:29 In reply to

Re: Widest tire / wheel combo, '02 Softail??

• Mon, Feb 21 2005 7:20 In reply to

Rim is a 3.50". I'm going thru the same thing but am finding it hard to get an 18" wheel and a 150 and still get under the 25.5" overall diameter. I have also heard that a 160 might fit, but you'd have to be creative with some of the bolts and nuts under the fender.
  • Mon, Feb 21 2005 10:12 PM In reply to

Yeah, I've got a buddy that went through this too. His bike is an '03 Deuce with an aftermarket wheel and he was able to fit a 180 with some tweaking of the bolts and a spacer. Haven't been able to catch up with him to find out what the difference is between his bike and my '02. I know he had to mod his belt guard to clear. I've already reversed the fender bolts and installed chrome bullets on the fender struts. Once I settle on the rear wheel style I want to run, I'll take a hard look at the 160's available. Low profile would be nice. Lower looks wider....

• Tue, Feb 22 2005 4:54 PM In reply to

• softal
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 1 2003
    • Posts 75

Just did a 180 Screaming Eagle Dunlop on a Deuce, fits good,no rubbing,no mods on belts guards or splash shield or fender. But you need the right parts to make it come out right and you don't need the HD wide tire kit, another joke to sucker people in by HD. I've tried the 160 on a 2001 Softail, I just don't see enough clearance on the rear fender, since HD went to the 150 stock maybe the fender is wider,just have not looked.Someone tell me if they got a 160 to work.
  • Tue, Feb 22 2005 5:52 PM In reply to

Softal, I've got an '01 FXST with a 160 Avon venom on it and it works fine. It is mounted on hd's aluminum 6 spoke 3.5 inch wheel. I had already put the wide tire kit on back in 2001 so I already had the thinner flange caliper, spacer, etc. Have about 3/16 inch clearance between tire and fender on each side. You are right in saying that you don't need to buy the wide tire kit from the moco in order to run a wider tire. In most cases all you need to do is machine about .125 (1/8) from the caliper flange and make up the difference on the other side with a thicker spacer and presto you have saved money you didn't need to spend in the first place. Unfortunately I did not know then what I do now. Dave
  • Tue, Feb 22 2005 11:14 PM In reply to

dm customs has an ad that says a 200 will fit when you change the fender and go with a wider 18 inch rim(from them of course, because of the off set)
  • Thu, Feb 24 2005 10:32 In reply to

I'm getting the feeling this is not an exact science??? With the stock swing arm used, I'm still not certain what size rim width I need. I have already reversed all the bolts in the fender to increase the clearance potential. Any other '02 FXST owners out there who have done this? I'd like to get the "known to work" menu of things to do and parts I need to fit the widest tire possible. (I've got the Bobtail fender like I said.) Stock wheel is 3.00 but I'm planning on a new custom chrome wheel soon and need to know how wide it should be. Thanks for all the interesting reading and help, but I'm not sure I know what I'm looking for yet. DLR

• Thu, Feb 24 2005 10:35 In reply to

you need to know for sure what size the tire is going to be, then i can give you the required rim size

• Thu, Feb 24 2005 12:18 PM In reply to

If your running a 180 or 200, you will need a 18" or 16" x 5.5" wheel. You can fit a 180 with some machining to the rear pulley and caliper. With some aditional machining (mainly to the belt pulley you can fit a 200 (offset slightly). Both ways require new fender and fender struts. Meaning you have to cut the old fender struts off. 8.5" fender for the 180 and 9" for the 200. You can fit a 200 in a 8.5" fender, but it is very close.
  • Thu, Feb 24 2005 7:39 PM In reply to

2002 fxstb stock wire wheel rear(off springer) I have had both the Metzler,and the avon 150 on this bike with out changin ANYTHING! however this is not to say any body else can! shoe it up and check yer clearence. ride hard cb.
  • Thu, Feb 24 2005 8:55 PM In reply to

CB, Thanks for the reply. What size is the stock wheel you're referring to? (Diameter and width)? I'd like to run the widest wheel that the stock '02 FXST can handle without getting to alot of machining mods, unless absolutly necessary. I'm thinking 4"? My stock wheel now is 18x3.0" Thanks, DLR

• Fri, Feb 25 2005 9:54 In reply to

dude the laced wheel from my train is an t16x3.00d,,,the cast wheel (fatboy style)was the same size.I put these tires on no problem,,, no turnin bolts or $400.00(or what ever it costs) kit to move wheel I ride a lot o canyons an ain't seen any diff. in handling,,aside ,,,I think hotbike and american thunder did a swap on a train,,,(it is a standard softail gone black)with big rubber 1 was done with an 18"rear I think???????? ride hard cb
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)