J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Mar 4 2005 11:35 AM by dbowserfl. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 3 2005 7:54 AM

Lowering the rear of a Deuce

Harley in Miami tells me the Burly Shock Lowering kit for Softails will lower the bike up to 2" but I've heard it will only lower it 1". Anyone know how to get it 2" or more lower without putting in an air suspension?
  • Thu, Mar 3 2005 8:13 AM In reply to

Re: Lowering the rear of a Deuce

I think you can go too two inches but the recommened lowering is one inch. After that I understand you can hit the fender which of course is bad. I have a lowering kit on mine at one inch. I'll tell ya this, if you hit a hole or bump it will jar the crap out of you, for some reason the ride is almost the feel of a rigid. Steve and the other masters might have more to say on this too.
  • Thu, Mar 3 2005 8:35 AM In reply to

Thanks snowdoc. I've heard from others that it really makes for a rough ride as well. Oh well, it sure does make it look cool. Do you have the Burly shock lowering kit on your or the Progressive?
  • Thu, Mar 3 2005 8:44 AM In reply to

I have the progressive, I had the dealership put them on as I didn't have a compression tool. It did help it's looks but I would still like it lower but I'm hesitant to taker down any lower. I would think your Burley's should go too two inches, if you do, do it, let me know if you start hitting the fender, of course body weight would be a factor and I myself come in a 250 lbs presently, Winter has made me fat. Yea, it is a siffer ride and I have hit some holes that made me yell in pain. If you can see it coming get your ass off the seat.
  • Thu, Mar 3 2005 9:14 AM In reply to

if you go more than an inch, you really should have a stiffer spring in the shock, or you can start to hit things, problem with that is, the ride gets even stiffer. it's gonna be a trade-off, it always is

• Thu, Mar 3 2005 9:40 AM In reply to

Steve: When you talk of replacing the spring with a stiffer one, are you speaking of a swing arm shock or softail shock. I thought that the softail shocks would have to be replace with a different, stiffer canister?
  • Thu, Mar 3 2005 9:45 AM In reply to

it is possible to replace the spring on a softail shock, although i've never seen it done. see part number 701-334 . however, most people just go with an adjustable height shock like 701-599 because it's a lot less labor intensive

• Thu, Mar 3 2005 2:10 PM In reply to

Appreciate the input. I'll drop her as far as I can without having the tire hit the fender on bumps. Although I'm tippin' the scales at 245 at the moment so an inch and a quarter might be all I can get. Thanks again.
  • Thu, Mar 3 2005 9:17 PM In reply to

I lowered my 03 Deuce 1 inch and it was a rough ride, another fellow here lowered his 2 inches and he could not clear a speed bump. I put the Legend air suspension on mine, and it looks great parked with no air, and then rides better than stock with whatever air I choose.
  • Fri, Mar 4 2005 11:35 AM In reply to

Good to know tread96927, thanks for the input.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)