J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Mon, Apr 2 2012 3:04 PM by bbqbrisket. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 31 2006 7:03 PM

Fiberglass Baffle Wrap

Can anyone tell me if there is anything special about the fiberglass packing that can be used to wrap baffles to quieten down the pipes a bit? I have a marine fiberglass dealer close to me and was wondering if I used ordinary fiberglass cloth or roving, would it suit the purpose.
  • Thu, Jun 1 2006 8:46 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,368

Re: Fiberglass Baffle Wrap

Mike: Good question, I'm experimenting with baffles too. I've often thought the same thing, I think it is the same. Let's take some of that "other" fiberglass stuff and put a heat gun to it. I would think that if the heat tollerance was high enough before it melted, it would be ok to try in our pipes. Only a little at a time, and check the exaust flow, we don't want to "plug" the pipe.

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Thu, Jun 1 2006 9:33 AM In reply to

I think a torch would be better than a heat gun. I have an automotive heat gun and it gets really hot, but not as hot as an exhaust. Fiberglass cloth and mat would need a fire retardent added to keep from going up in flames. Corvettes and boats do burn!
  • Thu, Jun 1 2006 9:50 AM In reply to

• hoovert
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 28 2004
    • Middle of the U.S.
    • Posts 1,153

That's the resin that burns, not the glass. Glass DOES NOT burn, but it will melt. Throw your beer bottle into the bon fire and see what I mean. I would think that you would want glass batting (like fiberglass insulation) for your baffles, rather than glass weave (like would be used for body work), but I'm certainly no expert on glass pack mufflers. just my $.02 T

• Thu, Jun 1 2006 10:15 AM In reply to

HEY GUYS, There are several products out there on the market, I work in the automotive related industry, we use several types of heat resistant wrap materials to protect a/c and heater hoses that run very close to the exhaust manifolds on engines. They come woven in a tube shape, we cut to fit, we even use one that is silicone covered for very high temp applications. We order it on a roll, seem to work very well. No complaints or problems so far. AZ
  • Thu, Jun 1 2006 10:22 AM In reply to

• 1200c
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 20 2006
    • Peachland N.C.
    • Posts 470

how about buying a $20 dollar set of glass pack mufflers,cutting them open and using the packing?

educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis

• Thu, Jun 1 2006 10:31 AM In reply to

• Foxear
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, May 15 2008
    • Detroit area
    • Posts 531

I had an 88 FLHTC a few years back with Kerker pipes. I tried a lot of stuff trying to get the sound right. One of the things I tried was to use fiberglass insulation strips (~ 3" wide)used to wrap water pipes. I wrapped the baffels with the stuff. It was easy to control the amount of wrap & easy to duplicate the original configuration; & I got the right sound. The problem I had was that it only lasted for about one riding season (Mich.)before burning out. The baffel wrap I bought from the stealer had the same configutation (3" wide strips), but lasted about twice as long. Don't ask me what the difference is, but the stuff I got at the hardware worked OK for me.

• Thu, Jun 1 2006 10:35 AM In reply to

• vpats
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 21 2005
    • Posts 333

Well then, since someone is discussing exhaust and baffles .. a subject I have become somewhat interested in also, I will toss out my 2cents worth. I have a Sportster 1200 with an older style Screaming Eagle turnouts which seemed a bit loud to me. After looking inside and found very little in there to hold the noise down. Being a curious animal, I began looking inside the factory mufflers, only to see a pipe with a series of small holes and a solid plate in the middle of the pipe, looking from the other end I noticed about the same setup. I drilled 3 well-spaced ½ inch holes, the sound was somewhat anemic but the power band seemed to be OK. Well then, I thought if 3 small holes are good then one big hole (1 ¼) should be great, right – wrong. Putting the turnouts back on and spending about 4 months to build up enough courage to use my trusty Drimmel to completely cut the weld holding the baffle pipe in the muffler body. This baffle is one piece the entire length of the muffler and by cutting off the outlet side of the baffle pipe by some 4 inches and drilling every other hole with a 3/8” bit to open the flow just a bit more then grinding the remaining weld at the outlet side of the muffler body out it is the same diameter as the inlet side of the baffle pipe. (You are mounting the baffle backwards in the muffler body. The original inlet side of the baffle is larger than the outlet side of the baffle but the same diameter as the outlet side of the muffler body – confused yet?). Drilling the muffler body and baffle pipe about 1 ½ inches from the outlet end and bolting the two together in standard baffle/pipe fashion. This has turned out to be quite a lovely setup, while the baffle pipe is smaller in diameter than the head pipe, and the muffler body is substantially larger diameter than the head pipe, the straight though design doesn’t show up, noise wise, until you are really turning up the throttle. The power band is strong and the bike pulls strong, at idle and normal street operation the bike is reasonably quiet even at a traffic light next to a Police bike, the man never even looked over at me. I am quite pleased with the results of this conversion, and it’s cheap.
  • Thu, Jun 1 2006 11:32 AM In reply to

Seeing the other proximate thread, it seems that I have touched on an issue of some interest! Less Filling! Tastes Great! I'll drop by my local auto store and see if I can find a small roll of the f/g tubing, and give it a try. I am running V&H Straight Shots. They are baffled and the baffles seem to be pretty easy to remove. (only one screw) Hey! What's the worst that can happen, aside from turning my pipes into glass lined test tubes... LOL Thanks for all the great replies. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Thu, Jun 1 2006 1:40 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,368

I just saw an auto program on SPIKE cable. Available at high end auto parts stores is a fire retardent spray in a can. The demo was that he sprayed some of the stuff on a shop rag, then put a tourch to it-----no burn. I might see if I can find some, and spray some glass cloth with it and see what happens in the drag pipes. I've seen the wrap that is made for glass packs, and that's what it looks like(auto body fiberglass cloth).

FX

• Thu, Jun 1 2006 10:46 PM In reply to

My screamin' eagle slip ons were getin' too loud for me so I found some fiberglass duct insulation at work to wrap my baffles... bad plan, everyone riding behind me complained of a bad burning smell, so I spent the money for harleys' green replacement baffle wrap, much better but still only lasts about a year..MW
  • Sat, Jun 3 2006 4:46 PM In reply to

Pulled the baffles to look into wrapping them and found that they were the same diameter for their entire length. So much for wrapping them. Took the f/g exhaust wrap tubing back to the auto parts store. End of story. PS, I do like their sound, was just wondering about toning them down a mite. Guess not..............o~`o
  • Sat, Jun 3 2006 5:43 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,368

Mike: Tough luck with that glass cloth. You say you found some at an auto parts store? Hey, maybe Andre' can help you out with toning them down. Oh sh*t, I'm realy sorry Mike, if he reads that, he'll be all over you. Edited by fxchopper on 6/3/2006 5:42:15 PM

FX

• Sat, Jun 3 2006 8:04 PM In reply to

fx, What can I say? A little of him goes a long way. He'd do well to lighten up a little, but ya gotta give him an "A" for enthusiasm... LOL
  • Sun, Jun 4 2006 2:32 AM In reply to

• TDON911
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 13 2003
    • all over
    • Posts 422

are the pipes supposed to have baffles in them??!!??!! that's whats been missing.... - pissin off the world, one throttle pull at a time loud pipes save lives

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >