J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Jun 27 2018 10:04 AM by floydrose. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 24 2007 5:56 PM

• V2
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 27 2004
    • Denver
    • Posts 67

FRAME TOTALED or NOT ???

I was involved in a motorcycle accident on June 10 2006 and while I was in the hospital my wife brought my ride to the local shop. Now a little back ground on this shop I brought my bike in once for tires, free mount and balance, when I picked the bike up and road it home there was a wobble long story short I checked the tire pressure and the front was at 60psi ( even slow leak tires has limits) Now the tires I run are Harley-Davidson engraved wide white walls, OK now it’s a year later and the wrenches there have change so I bring my scoter back and once again as I ride home there is a small wobble and I here some clanging I pull over and get to looking around and the adjusters are lose (man I’m glad I didn’t get on it like at a rally)…… Ok so my old lady bring my bike here and they say it’s totaled after a couple more weeks I get out of the hospital and go to the shop and ask what was bent (because everyone that has looked at it can’t find any bend) here is what they said “the top tab for the engine guard is bent so the whole frame is bent” Now I am talking about the outer tab not the back side. Ok upon further questioning I was told that any time the power coat is chipped or cracked they have to total the frame. I guess that would be bad news for those Orange County Crushers (OCC) ….So anyways how do you tell if a 2000 Road King frame is bent and has anyone else had this happen to them.

• Sat, Feb 24 2007 8:01 PM In reply to

Re: FRAME TOTALED or NOT ???

did you say the accident caused brain damage? i do have brain damge and im supposed to be about like a turnip and i can see what those clowns are up to! get that bike the hell out of there! a bent frame wouldnt total a nearlly new harley anyway. any real good mechanic could be able to check out for a bent frame. a rubber mount engine could knock around enough to bent a tab.
  • Sat, Feb 24 2007 8:06 PM In reply to

and another thing,,what part of the frame is powder coated? harley paints their frames. gloss black spray rust-o-leum matches it perfectly.
  • Sat, Feb 24 2007 8:18 PM In reply to

I agree whit Dyna, mine is rusted below the seat, do i have to take her out of the streets because that???

• Sat, Feb 24 2007 8:41 PM In reply to

• V2
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 27 2004
    • Denver
    • Posts 67

Thanks for the info I thought that H-D painted the frames. I took measurments from just about every place the had a matching area on both sides and they all came out the same so does anyone know a good wrench that is a certified H-D mech in nort-eastren NC not just somebody that needed a job and watched a few videos then took a test. If it helps at all, you know the cross member under the trans,well it isn't bent. I bring that up because I read about a brace you could buy to " to stiffen the Road Kings week area" that was "in the wind magazine. Also if anyone knows the measurment and their refrence points I would appreciate it. Thanks For The Help.

• Sat, Feb 24 2007 9:30 PM In reply to

• Trashz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 20 2004
    • Posts 967

I'd avoid that shop too. I'm not up on the newer bikes, but I know I found frame dimensions for a '79 in the factory manual. In any event, if you can measure accurately from the neck and motor mount holes you'll know if it's bent. On a new ('06-'07) bike a friend of mine got his frame replaced at a dealer.
  • Sat, Feb 24 2007 9:59 PM In reply to

www.departurebikeworks.com. there in richmond and do frames(if needed) they used to work on my panheads sometime. they have been at the same location 30 sumpin years.
  • Sat, Feb 24 2007 10:20 PM In reply to

A Bent mount. Totalled ha ha ha ha... Next they'll say a flat tire requires a certificate from the DMV for a new title. Run from those Dorks....Dont look back just run... If the down tube has been compromised then maybe. But a good welder can repair up to a certain point then the frame does become suspect. However, more bikes than I care to count have had the neck chopped and re-welded to accommodate a raked front end. FYI Shad Edited by Shad01 on 2/24/2007 10:26:44 PM
  • Sun, Feb 25 2007 10:45 AM In reply to

• hufte
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 27 2004
    • Posts 192

sounds like the shop sucks,but,i had that happen with barely damaged frame before,insurance is to put bike back to new,so if frame has paint crack the concider it bent,and they wont repaire a frame,i rode my bike for a month before they totaled it.
  • Mon, Feb 26 2007 6:27 AM In reply to

• phatm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 20 2003
    • ohio
    • Posts 271

i am not 100% sure on this but i do remember something about the frame on my 2000 fatboy being powder coated. mitch
  • Mon, Feb 26 2007 7:46 AM In reply to

sounds like you should have left that shop a long time ago. Now is your chance. Take it to another shop that knows what they are doing and have them check the frame.

• Mon, Feb 26 2007 8:43 AM In reply to

• hoovert
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 28 2004
    • Middle of the U.S.
    • Posts 1,153

I Dunno... Do you want the insurance co. to buy you a new bike, or do you want to repair it? Just because you get an estimate from these jokers doesn't mean that they will do the repairs. Just a little food for thought... T

• Mon, Feb 26 2007 9:02 AM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2004
    • Posts 5,093

Just to clarify, the MoCo hasn't "painted" their frames since the '80s'. ALL of the frames have been powdercoated since around '87 or '88 (at least), when the Softails were coming with the blue and cranberry red frames....... As for the frame being "totaled" because of the crash bar tab being bent, I have seen a LOT of shops claim this, but the only SURE way to tell if a frame is bent is to strip it and put it on a frame table, and check the measurements........ Edited for additional comments....... Edited by hdmotorman60 on 2/26/2007 9:04:44 AM

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death......

• Mon, Feb 26 2007 9:29 AM In reply to

well, if it were me, and there was any doubt as to the condition of the frame, the insurance co would be buying me a new one. and like motorman said, the only way to know for sure is to strip the bike down to bare frame and put it on a frame table, with someone who knows what they are doing, which may be hard to find

• Mon, Feb 26 2007 9:45 AM In reply to

There could be stress cracks to the frame elsewhere from a hard crash to the ground. After I had my accident over a year ago, the insurance Co. wanted to total my bike bcz they claimed over $6,000- damage. I told them give me $5,800- to keep the bike, which they agreed. I only spent $1500- of it so far and it's back on the road. There is a small puck in the right tank. Insurance companys pay to replace the whole tank, in case stress cracks can cause it to leak. Maybe this is a chance for you to get nice custom frame. Or, have the mentioned above done to the frame on a frame jig. Your life is riding on that chassis. Safety First!
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >