J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Thu, Feb 21 2008 6:39 AM by maxpower_hd. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 13 2008 12:00 PM

• pbabadoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 4 2004
    • Central MA
    • Posts 895

How to remove chrome plating?

I have a bunch of aluminum parts for my custom project that have damaged chrome plating. I want to strip off the chrome and anodize or paint them black. How do you remove the chrome plating?

• Wed, Feb 13 2008 12:58 PM In reply to

Re: How to remove chrome plating?

I've done it with asphalt. I don't recomend that method. The chrome shop can take it off for you.

• Wed, Feb 13 2008 2:07 PM In reply to

• MuffDiver
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 21 2007
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • Posts 586

Malberts, That's funny!!!!!!!! Hey pbabadoo I found this article on the web at; http://forum.caswellplating.com/showthread.php?t=2883 Don’t know if you have exhausted chemical hoods or a sand blaster. Sounds like it would be less expensive to send it out. If you’re planning on a crinkle coat sand blast would be the easiest. If you looking for a smooth surface you’ll need to use electro stripping. Hope this helps. Good Luck, Muffdiver. For those of us that don't have local platers: Caswell sells an alkaline solution that can be used via electrolysis to remove chrome plating safely from steel base metal. If the base metal is non-ferrous, then Pickle 2 can be used to remove chrome, either with electrolysis or by soak method. Pickle 2 is 2 parts water mixed with 1 part muriatic or hydrochloric acid. Any Home Depot carries a good grade of muriatic acid that can be used for this purpose. The concern about using acid to remove chrome from steel is that you may very well pit and damage the steel. I've done it. I avoid acid and steel. The alkaline chrome and anodize stripper Caswell offers is a better way to go in this case. ALWAYS follow Caswell's manual instructions for the use of acids and any solution under electrolysis. It's too involved to cover it here in detail, and the Manual covers it very well including carefully drawn pictures and diagrams. Regarding sandblasting--if you are hard chroming mechanical parts, then Coley's right. But if you're restoring decorative chrome, chances are the part you're restoring is rusted and pitted. If so, to remove rust and pitting you'll prefer to sandblast, since the roughness you're going to clean up afterwards caused by sandblasting is the least of your problems. You'll have to decide which approach is best for you. I use 180 grit aluminum oxide. After a pass with the Brightex wheel, you'd never know it was sandblasted. To remove chrome use Sodium hydroxide at 8-12 oz/gal (w/v) works well for electrostripping chromium from carbon steel substrates. The bath can be operated at ambient temperature or higher, at a current density of 0.25 - 1.0 amp/sq.in. The fumes evolved are toxic and must be evacuated and scrubbed. The bath starts out as a simple solution of caustic soda but acquires an increasing component of a hexavalent chromium compound as the metallic chromium is electrostripped from the workpieces. The spent solution is hazardous waste and must be properly disposed.

• Wed, Feb 13 2008 9:52 PM In reply to

• pancone
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 3 2005
    • Fillmore, California
    • Posts 285

Muff's got some good info, but were it me and I had access to a chrome shop, I'd just have the shop remove the chrome and leave the parts in the white...then I'd use self-etching primer, possibly primer-surfacer over that, then color coat...

• Wed, Feb 13 2008 11:12 PM In reply to

• MuffDiver
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 21 2007
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • Posts 586

I just wanted to add that the info above is something I found and copy/paste to this site. I have worked with these chemicals before (semi-conductor manufacturing) and know how to handle them, I’m concerned about people that don’t. I have never used these chemicals to remove chrome or have done any electroplating myself. I started to think about this afterwards and I don’t want to mislead anyone on this and have them injured. Muriatic acid is a highly reactive liquid acid, and one of the most dangerous chemicals you can buy for home use. Muriatic acid must be used with EXTREME CAUTION!! I cannot emphasize this enough. Contact with the eyes, for example, can cause irreversible damage and permanent blindness. Contact with the skin can cause severe burns. Got it? It is an industrial-strength solution of hydrochloric acid. Yep, muriatic acid is "super stomach acid"! With the exception of some plastics, muriatic acid can damage most anything it touches, including clothing, metal, and skin! It emits a suffocating odor that can quickly burn the lining of the nose, throat and even the lungs. You can buy 29% muriactic acid at pool stores, it is used as a pH reducer and to remove sodium chloride deposits in salt water pools. You can get it at hardware stores as a heavy-duty masonry cleaning, preparation of masonry for painting or sealing. If you spill it on your cement floor and it will burn a hole in it if left long enough. It will immediately start to foam up and release that suffocating odor I mentioned before. Get it on grease, Fire!! Parts need to be clean and free of grease. Important Note! Always add acid to water! Never Add water to Acid! When water is added to muriatic acid, an exothermic (heat is given off) reaction occurs. This is often accompanied by a violent "belch" which propels the acid mixture out of the container and onto the person making the dilution! You need to have ventilation, proper protective clothing and immediate access to water in the event of bodily contact. As pancone stated if you have access to a chrome shop let the guys with the right safety equipment and do it. Be Safe! Muffdiver.

• Wed, Feb 13 2008 11:19 PM In reply to

Hey MD, what would you charge to put all your files of tips and general knowledge about motorcycles and engines in general on a CD and mail one to me? This is a serious inquiry. Preacher ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of of the people some of time, but you can't fool all of the people all of time... - Abraham Lincoln -

“You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on.”                                                                                        

-George W. Bush-

• Thu, Feb 14 2008 1:00 AM In reply to

• Octane
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 2 2008
    • Camp Verde, Az.
    • Posts 347

Muff, Dam man.... Think you could teach school.... You seem to be schooled in the sciences. ya people add the acid to the water!!!! Bad things happen when you do it the other way around.

"I did it because my wife told me not to,  Officer"  -Me

"Ye thoue I walk through the valley I fear no man,  for I am the meanest mother ****** in the valley" -  General Patton

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. - Ronald Reagan

• Thu, Feb 14 2008 2:45 AM In reply to

hope everyone was paying close attention to muff's WHOLE post on the muriatic acid causing skin burns, etc. it was starting to get a little long but worth the complete read. point being: i have a brother in law that worked in a nursing home and was using some muriatic acid to open a clogged drain in one of the bathrooms. he poured some acid down the drain and put the bottle of acid on the edge of a sink so he could work on the drain to clear it and the bottle fell off the sink and when it hit the floor, it splashed out of the bottle onto him, luckily missing his face. he had on a blue shirt but when the acid hit the material, it started melting and turned RED. he immediately started running down the hall toward the maintenance area where they had an emergency shower so he could get the acid rinsed off and he looked like he was covered in blood from the melting material. scared the hell out of several other employees he ran by on his way to the shower. anyway, he ended up going to an emergency room after the initial rinse and removal of the affected shirt and they took care of the rest but he has some really bad scars from the spill. he looked like he'd been in a knife fight and lost bigtime and then had a bad suture job afterward. the long wide reddish scars were very hard for his wife to look at but she finally got used to them. so, if you're gonna use that stuff,BE VERY CAREFUL!
  • Thu, Feb 14 2008 6:17 AM In reply to

TLC had a show dedicated to ACIDS the other night. very informative. Know exactly what Muff is talking about. I have used a lot of acids in metal prepping in body work. You need to protect skin as well as respatory. Same applies with sand blasting where you can get silicosis. If your not setup for it, leave it to a professional. It's not worth the risk to save a few bucks.

• Thu, Feb 14 2008 8:11 AM In reply to

Still be prepared for the exothermic reaction even when you add the acid to the water. It's just not the violent reaction you get by doing it the wrong way.

• Thu, Feb 14 2008 8:30 AM In reply to

Maybe the asphalt wasn't so bad after all.

• Thu, Feb 14 2008 11:30 AM In reply to

Acid? Did somebody say acid?

• Thu, Feb 14 2008 12:24 PM In reply to

How to remove chrome? Her name is $*&^%^$ and her number is 555-1212

Nowhereman.....who else?

• Thu, Feb 14 2008 10:09 PM In reply to

nowhereman; i guess an ex-OL would also be a very good way too- but then some of them go way past the chrome. oh mannn, i just rolled by this again and realized the INTENDED meaning of that comment nowhereman. D'UH !! oh well, guess we all have a "slow day" once in awhile.... i was wonderin what that little yellow bus was doin circling the house. Edited by frateshaker on 2/15/2008 8:41:34 PM
  • Sat, Feb 16 2008 2:04 AM In reply to

pbado, if your gonna paint just media blast the parts or a lot of elbow grease with a scotchbrite pad. i don't see the use in acids or thermo nucleor enema stuff. prep it well and paint. i just got done with a old rim(glass beaded) get off all rust,prime it, paint it.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >