J&P Cycles Technical Forums

Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Tue, May 23 2017 10:02 AM by FX. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 8 2008 9:16 PM

FL Front End on 2000 Dyna

Hey folks! I want to Swap out the Wide Glide front end on my Dyna and install a FL Road King style fork kit. I'm going to order J&P's Aluminum "Housing Front End Kits for 1986-99 Softail" Part # 230-275. Does anyone think I'll have a problem with it? I've heard I might loose some range of motion in handlebar travel because the headlight housing may hit the gas tank. Anyone know any other issues? Thasnk, CJ
  • Sun, Mar 9 2008 9:15 AM In reply to

Re: FL Front End on 2000 Dyna

Cj, you are just looking at the Road King style nacelle and not the actual front end? (triple trees are totally different design for the funky reversed steering neck of the FLT)

• Mon, Mar 10 2008 9:06 AM In reply to

Rapido, Thanks for replying! What I'd like to be able to do is put an entire Road King front end on my bike for several reasons: 1) I like the looks of the old Panheads from the 1960's (headlight nacelle, beefier forks, etc) 2) I want to be able to mount factory spotlights (I've been using National Cycle spotlights on my Wide Glide forks and their quality is a little below HD's). 3) I want to be able to use either factory detachable windshields or a Dragonfly Cycle Concepts Electra Glide-style detachable fairing (http://www.dragonflycycleconcepts.com/fairings.htm) and I'll need the FL front end to all this. Thanks again for your time. - CJ
  • Mon, Mar 10 2008 9:31 AM In reply to

the road king front end absolutley will not fit anything but an FLT series dresser, won't fit softail, dyna, fxr or sportster no way no how. you can probably put the 230-275 on the duna, but you'll have to fabricate fork stops, you'll lose the fork lock, and you'll have to check gas tank and frame clearance, since the dyna frame is quite a bit wider. you may lose some turning radius

• Mon, Mar 10 2008 9:57 AM In reply to

CJ, the only way I can think of you using a complete Road King front end is if you have the neck altered for the correct rake and trail (extended and deraked)to fit. I'd recommend selling the Dyna and finding a bagger you can afford. There was a guy on here a few years back that was gonna put a conventional front end on his Road King but don't know how that turned out....never heard from him, hmmmm

• Mon, Mar 10 2008 6:00 PM In reply to

Okay. Not the good news I was hoping for BUT (more importantly) you gave me the reality check I needed! Thanks guys. I do have one question for SFranta. If I were to take the triple clamps from an FL and use my existing wide glide tubes (like this guy: http://www.kenandjudy.us/Harley%20Pictures/FrontEnd/index.htm) just how much range of motion do you think I would lose? How much turn radius would I lose? Thanks for your time guys and thanks for giving me your honest feedback. CJ
  • Tue, Mar 11 2008 8:31 AM In reply to

my internet filter will not allow me to go to that site, can you email me a picture? sfranta@jpcycles.com

• Tue, Mar 11 2008 8:45 AM In reply to

looking at those all he did was put a FLSTF softail front end on a dyna not an FLT front end. completely different triple clamps

• Tue, Mar 11 2008 11:43 PM In reply to

Okay, I feel like a tool now. I thought the Road King (FLH) and the Heritage and Deluxe Softail (FLS) used the same triple clamps, fork tubes sliders and just had different metal around the headlight. Is this not true? Is there a significant difference between those two front ends? Could I put the FLSTF front end on my Dyna? I know I'm talking about a lot of work, time and money but I just don't want to buy the same RK, or Heritage Softtail that everyone else can. This is my dream bike I am working on. With the FLSTF front end I can still get the Dragonfly Cycle Concepts fairing I want, use HD lights and get the look I want. Thanks a lot, again. I really appreciate the help your giving me! CJ cptceejay@hotmail.com
  • Wed, Mar 12 2008 12:43 AM In reply to

i have the front end you are talking about on my 64 pan. check out some on line site(ebay) and buy one off a panhd. it won't "have" the look, it will be the look. edit- like rapido said the road king and heritage triple trees are 2 difrnt animals. Edited by nuklhd on 3/12/2008 12:45:03 AM
  • Wed, Mar 12 2008 8:35 AM In reply to

yes, the road king/FLT front end is significantly different. the triple trees are reversed, in other words, the frame neck is in front of the fork tubes, not behind as in other bikes. this aallows the big bike to handle extremely well at low speeds, say, in the parking lot. the bike handles a lot lighter than it actually is, because of this design. the fork neck on a dyna or softail is not extended forward, so it will not accept the reversed triple tree. you could probably get the trees to bolt up, but you'd have to remove the gas tank, and if you did manage to cobble it on there, it would be a very wobbly ride. stick with the softail setup, and you'll be fine

• Wed, Mar 12 2008 9:52 AM In reply to

what is nacelle?

I wish they woud say "sir" without adding "your causing a scene"

• Wed, Mar 12 2008 11:17 AM In reply to

dad, that's that big headlight bucket the baggers hide all the wiring, air lines & triple trees in.

• Wed, Mar 12 2008 9:03 PM In reply to

Guys, Thanks for the advice and the schoolin'. Rapido - you asked earlier if I just wanted the headlight nacelle look earlier. Does someone make a nacelle kit for the wide glide? Okay, I've got one more stupid question and then I'm done. If the fork kit with J&P part number 230-275 is designed for the Softtail family then its not an FLT/FLH triple clamp, right? Alright - that's it. I'm done. No more stupid questions. Well no more stupid questions in this thread anyway. Thanks again! CJ cptceejay@hotmail.com
  • Thu, Mar 13 2008 8:24 AM In reply to

correct, softail trees are standard design, not reversed

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >