J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Sat, Oct 14 2006 7:38 PM by abscondist. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 15 2006 4:54 PM

• TOMYKA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 2 2002
    • Posts 4

V-TWIN REPLICA FRAMES

IS ANY ONE RUNNING OR HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THESE FRAMES?
  • Wed, Feb 15 2006 7:16 PM In reply to

Re: V-TWIN REPLICA FRAMES

i would look for a good used frame with all the tabs in place. no one(except teds dealers) have much good to say about his major components. forget about his motors and trannies. the best replica frames come from kurt at 45partsdepot.com but i believe he only has 45 frames. edit- i used a c instead of a k in KURT'S name on the first post. i did not mean to be disrespectful kurt. Edited by nuklhd on 2/16/2006 5:08:06 AM
  • Thu, Feb 16 2006 11:54 PM In reply to

• TOMYKA
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4

the reason i asked is that i already own one of these frames and the old stock one i built the bike with is sad, but the repop looks identical to stock i just wondered if i should have a good frame man check it out.
  • Fri, Feb 17 2006 2:12 AM In reply to

i don't have first hand exp. with his frames it's just sh*t i've read over the years on other forums and talking to people. mostly fitment problems. edit-tomyka, let me,us know how everything works out and lines up. the last person with one of the rigids had trouble with the tranny plate mounting up right to the frame. Edited by nuklhd on 2/17/2006 5:05:56 AM

• Fri, Feb 17 2006 9:40 AM In reply to

What makes the old frame look sad? Is it bent up or tabs all cut or what??? Just curious Mick Inniss
  • Fri, Feb 17 2006 4:44 PM In reply to

• TOMYKA
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4

as many original hd frames get the tabs are all there but the lower frame rails were just about flat from rally racing i guess , that and due to it the front lower mtr mount was twisted forward some i had to taper the back mtr mount down and shim it so when the front mount was tightened the rear with shim would be solid. i filled in the rails with low temp brass but after all the years just felt like it would be safer going new
  • Tue, Oct 10 2006 12:45 PM In reply to

Decided to build a project old style bike this winter. Local HD shop sells these V-Twin replica frames. There are a couple swap meets coming up this month. I just want to buy something thats not bent or cut up & re-welded. Ain't found nothing on E-Bay yet worth buying, except a shovel-motor I inquired about. I wanted to bring this post back up to see if I could get more opinions on this frame made by V-Twin. Another question is: Should I go w/ either disc or drum brakes? Which would be cheaper in cost? Thanks. Also want to buy stock lenth black painted Springer. Edited by abscondist on 10/10/2006 12:49:16 PM
  • Tue, Oct 10 2006 1:04 PM In reply to

you'll have a lot more options, and a lot better stopping power with disc. we can get any of those frames also, call the tech line, they can scope it out for you

• Tue, Oct 10 2006 1:26 PM In reply to

Thanks Steve. I was checking out the raffle bike on your site. Looked at that frame & springer also. Thanks again.
  • Tue, Oct 10 2006 3:24 PM In reply to

• Trashz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 20 2004
    • Posts 967

Any aftermarket frame (don't care who makes it) should be inspected in the weld areas and then checked dimensionally for straightness, hole location, tab placement, ect. Your factory manual should have a section on frames, complete with a dimensioned drawing. You can check it yourself with string & plumb bobs, calipers, straight edges. Anything you miss or are unsure of can be verified during mock-up prior to any bondo, paint or chrome. Most of the complaints I've seen or heard usually involves the welds.
  • Tue, Oct 10 2006 3:31 PM In reply to

I was looking at replica rolling rolling chassis @ tejasthumpcycles.com but I don't know of the quality of these kits. They are pretty far away and there is not alot of info on their site. thanks for the reply. Edited by abscondist on 10/10/2006 3:33:56 PM
  • Wed, Oct 11 2006 12:19 PM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2004
    • Posts 5,074
    • Guest Moderator
      Staff

the stuff at tejas thunp is mostly all v-twin stuff, just so you know.

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death......

• Wed, Oct 11 2006 1:02 PM In reply to

YES, I saw that. I finally decided to build & restore a 45 HD. There are still some NOS parts available, and I always wanted to build an antique close to original. I won't ride it anyway. Thanks for the reply.
  • Thu, Oct 12 2006 1:06 AM In reply to

abscondist, check out www.45partsdepot.com-kurt has some great stuff for your 45. i bought his ignition setup and he went out of his way to check with me to see i was ok. real good cat.
  • Thu, Oct 12 2006 10:02 AM In reply to

Thanks nuklhd, I did come across his site. I also found resurrection-restoration co. & one other site, not in this country. I think I will have a hard time finding an original frame, motor, & springer. I really don't want to buy reproduction major components. 30 years ago, I went to a swap meet and a guy sold 2 basket case 45s for $600- A guy I know bought both of them and built one bike from all the parts. I was hoping I could obtain some decent parts & put together a bike for not more than $10,000- Without going to antique meets all over, I think I'll have a hard time getting some parts. I don't want one already built. I would like to do the complete assembly myself. Perhaps, my friend who is in the AMC can help me ouy. Thanks again for the info-
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >