J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Sep 19 2008 5:43 PM by FLSTC_96. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 2 2008 9:13 PM

changing softail shock springs

hi was wondering i have my shock adjusted to the stiffest preload and still bottom out sometimes.I weight about 230 and passenger 140.I read a few post about guys changing the springs in the softail shocks with big red spring.I have read that they havent bottomed out  with these springs?Was wondering how difficult it is to open the shocks since the spring is under pressure.has anyone done this before and can give me some advise how to take apart?Thanks

• Wed, Sep 3 2008 9:40 In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2004
    • Posts 4,839
      Staff

Re: changing softail shock springs

To replace the spring, the shocks must be removed from the bike and a press or a special tool PN 701-365 $ 82.99 would be required to take them apart.

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death......

• Fri, Sep 19 2008 5:43 PM In reply to

Re: changing softail shock springs

It sounds like you and I are carring about the same weight on our bikes. I have a 96 FLSTC and was bottoming out all the time until I changed the rear shock springs to the "heavy duty", (red) ones. The bike hasn't bottomed out since. The only thing I don't like is the bike rides like a hardtail when riding solo......oh well, what ya gunna do?   Scott, South Korea

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)