J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Thu, May 12 2011 5:30 PM by Redliner. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 10 2011 6:21 PM

Dyna 2000i ignition

Will a Daytona Twin Tec Igntion rotor JP PN 383-497 work with Dyna 2000i igntion single fire and single coil and do I use the mechanical advance unit.

• Wed, May 11 2011 12:25 PM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,379

Re: Dyna 2000i ignition

Red,

Sorry I didn't see thin sooner.  I do believe that Dyna 2000i comes complete, you should not need a 'replacement rotor'. And you do not use the mechanical advance, it's all electronic............If you're running the 2000i as a single fire you'll need two separate coils, or a combination coil with two towers and three wire hook-ups. One for ignition, and the other two to hook to the Dyna to fire each cylinder independently. Dual fire would use a single coil, and fire both plugs at the same time................You will need a VOES, they have them here, if you don't already have one...............

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Wed, May 11 2011 5:07 PM In reply to

Thanks for the info but I still have a problem the bike is a 74 flh and had a Dyna S ignition and I don't have the stock rotor. and it had points before that. and not to sound dumb but what do I need the VOES for. 

• Thu, May 12 2011 7:57 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,379

Red,

I figured you had an older bike, or one that has been converted to points (Dyna S), when you mentioned the advance weights. I'm not sure if the Dyna 2000i comes with that rotor, staff will know, but it will work on your bike..........You probably have a 5 ohm coil, the 2000i uses 3 ohms...........The VOES (Vacuum-Operated-Electronic-Switch) is a unit used on later models. It adjusts the timing as to engine vacuum sensed, and is a good thing to have.......... In your case you could mount it on one of the carb mounts. You'd have to drill and tap a hole in the intake manifold, and install a hose fitting for the VOES. If per chance, you're running an S&S Super E carb, that hole may already be in their manifold (and plugged off). The single wire off the VOES would hook to the 2000i.......I've heard nothing but good about those 2000i ignitions.........Good luck.........

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Thu, May 12 2011 9:14 AM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2004
    • Posts 4,973
      Staff

The 2000I takes a trigger rotor cup like the 383-497 you suggest. That will trigger the 2000I. You had selected the correct part.

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death......

• Thu, May 12 2011 5:30 PM In reply to

Thanks  FX and Xea for all the info. should have the old girl going by Memorial weekend. Thanks again Redliner.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)