J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Jun 3 2011 1:04 PM by Banshee74. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 2 2011 7:31 PM

S&S, Revtech, Illusion Mystery

Posted about this before......but now a mystery.   This engine clearly has an S&S bottom end (S&S imprinted all over with an S&S engine number, and it is supposed to be a 113 CI). The cylinders have "Illusion" on their bases, and the heads are clearly labeled "Revtech". It  has an Andrews aftermarket cam installed.   Can anyone tell me why someone would put Revtech heads on Illusion cylinders and an S&S bottom end??????    Titled as a 1996 Illusion

• Thu, Jun 2 2011 10:13 PM In reply to

Re: S&S, Revtech, Illusion Mystery

My Guess:  Someone wanted it "to be titled" as an Illusion, so something on the engine had to be recognizible as Illusion?

All the people who's freedom of speech I fought to defend are now telling me to shut up

The same Congress that issued me a machine gun NOW wants my Winchester Model 1894!

• Fri, Jun 3 2011 7:32 AM In reply to

• Ironhead
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • sick puppy getting better
    • Posts 2,220

Maybe a previous owner had engine "issues" and put together what he could get his hands on? 

If a man speaks out in a forest and there is no woman arround, is he still wrong?  Geeked

• Fri, Jun 3 2011 7:47 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,419

Here's another theory Banshee. Illusion built their own engines using S&S cases with Rev Tech internals, and top end. They had Rev Tech stamp 'Illusion' on the cylinders to identify the engine as theirs.

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Fri, Jun 3 2011 12:03 PM In reply to

Donnie Bittman's Illusion Motorcycle Company  Maybe you can try tracking him down....

When you outlaw freedom, the free become outlaws.

• Fri, Jun 3 2011 1:04 PM In reply to

FX & Speedking72,

Thanks much!   It makes sense that Illusion would have Revtech stamp the Illusion name on the cylinder base, since it appears this is a hybrid configuration.  (especially since I don't think Illusion made their own cylinders).

It's a sweet bike...appears to be a bit of history involved also.  Donnie Bittman made some nice bikes!!!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)