J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Wed, Aug 28 2013 7:43 AM by FX. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 28 2013 1:29 PM

• Karrowack
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 28 2013
    • Prescott, AZ
    • Posts 6

1980 Shovelhead with oil filter.

I cannot figure this out..

I have the HD Service Manual FL/FX models 1200 / 1340 cc 4 speed 1978 1/2 to 1984.

My "1980" shovelhead (stated by stamp on motor) has a spin on oil filter that is underneath the bike as pictured in the HD service manual page 3-7... BUT, the picture showing my spin on filter says that the spin on oil filter was only for 1983-1984 motors....

I do not have the older oil tank for in tank filter. 

This spin on oil filter is not an aftermearket attachement. 

Do all shovelheads lubricate the primary chain from the engine oil????

Thank you.

• Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:00 PM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2004
    • Posts 5,003
      Staff

Re: 1980 Shovelhead with oil filter.

Witout seeing a picture of your spin on filter set up, it's hard to say if it was stock to that application.

Yes, all Shovels luricated the primary chain with a convoluted system using engine oil. Many seal the primary and set it up like later applications.

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death......

• Thu, Mar 28 2013 10:59 PM In reply to

• oldie
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • S. E. USA
    • Posts 283

Is your 1980 an FLT ?  That is the only Shovel that came with an underneath spin on oil filter TIKO..

1980 FLT was also first Rubber mount,  & 5 speed..

Just not the prettiest scoot to look at..

• Fri, Mar 29 2013 10:53 AM In reply to

• Karrowack
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Prescott, AZ
    • Posts 6

Surprising enough the motor # says it was to a 1980 FLT.  So that's is very good news. Thank you. A specific FLT HD manual would be great to find.

I have had a horrible time with this bike. It's not enough I am new to the Halrey line, but my "FLT" was built around the motor.

Yes the shovelhead is on rubber mounts, but on an earlier frame from an FLH. I have a Road King fuel tank that I imagine came with the frame.

Good news, I have the original hard bags that have the traditional 1980 yellow blinkers (built by Yankee plastic) recessed in the fiberglass, they were standard on the 1980 FLT.

The bad news, the front fender sweeps back at the bottom like a Fat Boy, not flat as the FLT and other tours came with. The seat was held in place at the tank mount in front by a thick piece of bent aluminum and large self tapping screw/bolt. One rear brake pad was hanging out and only half installed. The chain was too thin, the rear tire was some off brand that only had a weight class of 325lbs. The dash on the fuel tank is pretty useless as it electronic(solid tank, will have to do a speedo on handlebars)..  

Franken-Harley.

But its been fun rebuilding into a more functional bike, but your right Oldie, that bike was not a pretty sight. 

I purchased a smaller smooth black dash(no windows for electronics) and a smooth chrome fuel door to just cover up the tank itself for now. I have 80 spoke wheels, with white walls going on, new chain, lots of after market HD chrome parts were installed on motor, trans, main drive..and some baffled strait pipes.. they are all cleaned up. The beach bars had the newer controls with push buttons installed as well. I have the chromed big headlight and passing lamps and blinkers up front installed. Thinking about a windscreen for longer travels. Found a matching Mustang passenger seat for the original mustang that is so comfortable that was already on the bike.. making a couple brackets to get those to fit. There is no bolt hole for the rear seat(not sure what configuration was there before),  the brackets I have already created and will make the seats fit smoothly together and removable as the newer seats do now.

I am craft enough and have done as much research as I can find on how to bring back some nice looks to this bike, but it will keep people that know their stuff wondering how all these parts managed to get themselves on this bike.

I have included a pic of where it sits now showing where I am going with it and the frame it sits on.. The VIN# on frame was welded through, so any thoughts on frame year would be awesome..

All thats left is a run through on electrical and test oil flow, pressure and some little diagnostics..

• Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:02 AM In reply to

• Karrowack
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Prescott, AZ
    • Posts 6

Those pics were too big. Here they are smaller..

• Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:38 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 12 2006
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,393

Very interesting Karrowack, keep us posted on yer progress. Of course you're gonna paint it, I'm one of those 'hate green' guys. I had an 80 FLT. Don't remember a whole lot about it though, other than it was a mongrel...They had an inclosed rear chain that ran in oil. I see yours is open, good...

FX

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

• Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:49 PM In reply to

• oldie
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • S. E. USA
    • Posts 283

RED FLAG !!!!!!

That's just what I have done to 1980 FLT's,  add R.K. nacelle & tank..  Really helps on looks..

"Yes the shovelhead is on rubber mounts, but on an earlier frame from an FLH. I have a Road King fuel tank that I imagine came with the frame." 

1) Sorry, but that's not an older FLH frame, the frame tubes were round till the 1980 FLT...A newer frame, yes. Possibly an FLHS (EVO) frame, due to oil bag location & style.

"The bad news, the front fender sweeps back at the bottom like a Fat Boy,"

2)  That's because  IS a Fat Boy fender..

"The VIN# on frame was welded through, so any thoughts on frame year would be awesome.."

3) Yes,  that frame is or was stolen..  Why else weld thru the VIN.. (This is VERY BAD).. 

Do NOT ever get pulled over on this bike, it could be impounded, if they look for the frame VIN.    That is Exactly where the cops check to match your title/owners card.  & You have NO numbers..

I'd suggest checking into this Legally before you pour in any more money..

You likely have a Title to the engine only.  But NOT the frame..     RED FLAG !!!!!!

• Sat, Mar 30 2013 6:44 AM In reply to

• lesty
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 5 2010
    • Posts 156

Nice bike you got there bro.  Don't let the guys around here bust you up at all:  the FLT may not be a looker but she has a great personality...hahaha.  I ride a 1980 FLT currently and with a little(read alot) of TLC it is a daily rider.  Mine has a spin on oil filter under the frame just ahead of the rear tire as well.  Careful to get the proper filter, not just anyone that spins on to the thread.  Its the insides that count on oil filters...our oil pumps do the job but dont produce as much pressure as the new bikes.  They have the proper ones here for a very reasonable price.  As for Xea's comment...yes, get rid of the primary oiler system.  Honestly, why would you oil your primary chain with dirty engine oil??? I just sealed off the primary with the proper tapered set screws but left the top inlet port with the original elbow fitting open to act as a vent.  Your frame, from what I can see looks very similar to mine but ya do some asking as far as the numbers go or... 

Are those the headers that came with the bike?  My rear header sweeps forward and curls around the gear case before it heads down the right side of the bike.  My front pipe heads down the left side of the bike up and over the primary case.  Kinda funny looking but who needs looks when you have personality.

Safe travels,

L

• Sat, Mar 30 2013 6:50 AM In reply to

• lesty
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 5 2010
    • Posts 156

Karrowack:

I have the HD Service Manual FL/FX models 1200 / 1340 cc 4 speed 1978 1/2 to 1984.

Oh ya, I forgot this one.  Many things changed at the factory in 1980.  I have one built in the first half of the year and I have to be careful sometimes when looking at parts made for the later half of the year.  I have found the same with the manual.  I have the original manual that came with the bike and somethings in there simply just do not exist on my bike.  Its not that they were removed...it was never there.  Between the original manual, a Clymer, and everyone here there is nothing that cant be done.

L

• Sat, Mar 30 2013 7:29 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,393

Damn, I missed that Karrowack. The numbers on the frame being altered in any way is an invitation to the man to impound that bike until YOU prove it's legal. You could loose the bike forever, I've heard of that happening. The frame, and engine numbers must match. The cops do look for that, especially on a Harley...Nice to have ya back Oldie...

FX

• Sat, Mar 30 2013 10:19 PM In reply to

• oldie
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • S. E. USA
    • Posts 283

FX:

Nice to have ya back Oldie...

Thanks FX, Good ta be back..

• Sun, Mar 31 2013 6:32 PM In reply to

• wkerner
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 3 2007
    • REdondo Beach Ca
    • Posts 294

It ain't easy being green!

• Sun, Mar 31 2013 10:59 PM In reply to

• oldie
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • S. E. USA
    • Posts 283

I like Green too..   Sharp Super glide..

Karrowack -

Hope finding that out didn't scare ya off.. 

Better to find out on the forum, than by the cops.

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 8:09 AM In reply to

• FX
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Tonawanda NY
    • Posts 4,393

*&^%$#&!*#$%^&.............. Ya knew that was come'n Bill...Nice Shovel though

FX

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 11:40 AM In reply to

• Xea
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 20 2004
    • Posts 5,003
      Staff

There is a manual specific to the 80-83 FLT/FXR chassis OEM PN 99483-83 and a specfic parts manual, OEM 99438-83B. If you want the manual, it is J&P number 902-091 $ 119.99. The parts book is J&P number 902-022.

We actually have 3 of each on the shelf, but they are not available online. To order, you need to phone in with those part numbers.

Faster, Faster, Faster! Till the trill of speed overcomes the fear of death......

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >