J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community

Participate in our motorcycle forums, view photos, and read up on our motorcycle tech articles.
Welcome to J&P Cycles Motorcycle Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post Fri, Dec 17 2004 3:00 PM by sfranta. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 17 2004 7:09 AM

• oldpan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 24 2004
    • Posts 12

IRONHEAD STARTER

Iam having problems with the starter clutch on my 1974 IRONHEAD.It turned the ENGINE over last year...did some cosmetic work only...tried to start this month for first time in 6 months...the gear is moving out to main gear on clutch..but just vibrates and chatters...it does not turn over engine of course...what has changed??...how do I fix and what PART/PARTS do I need?..OLDPAN
  • Fri, Dec 17 2004 8:21 AM In reply to

Re: IRONHEAD STARTER

i would bet the chattering sound you are hearing is the solenoid, it'll do that when it's not getting enough juice, check the connections, but i'll bet your battery is toast

• Fri, Dec 17 2004 10:44 AM In reply to

• oldpan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12

thanks, it is actually moving out to the main primary gear...just not turning once it gets out there....I thought since it was moving out that the solenoid was good and starter clutch was not working properly....the battery seams stong , but I WILL TEST IT..let me know what you or anyone else out there thinks about this before I tear into it...TC OLDPAN*
  • Fri, Dec 17 2004 10:57 AM In reply to

yes, it is possible that it is the bendix that is bad, but usually if it is bad, the starter will spin, but the drive doesn't turn

• Fri, Dec 17 2004 12:27 PM In reply to

• oldpan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12

THANKS, BUT RUN THAT BY ME AGAIN!....how do I know if it is turninf if the gear just rattles?..tc
  • Fri, Dec 17 2004 12:28 PM In reply to

• oldpan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12

THANKS, BUT RUN THAT BY ME AGAIN!....how do I know if it is turning if the gear just rattles?..the gear does move out ..I thought thats what the bendix did??..tc
  • Fri, Dec 17 2004 1:08 PM In reply to

the bendix also has a "clutch" i guess is what you would call it, that makes it engage in the drive direction, but freewheels in teh opposite direction, so that when the motor starts, the drive doesn't grab before it disengages. if the stuff inside the bendix breaks, it will come out and the starter will spin, but it doesn't turn the clutch basket

• Fri, Dec 17 2004 1:37 PM In reply to

• oldpan
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12

ok, so what do you think I HAVE BASED ON WHAT i am experiencing?..tc Edited by on 12/17/2004 1:50:44 PM
  • Fri, Dec 17 2004 3:00 PM In reply to

without seeing the bike, i'm just giving you a place to start. if the battery has a full charge and is working ok, and all the connections are good, then i would look at the drive. is the starter spinning, and if so, is the shaft turning? if everything turns until you get to the bendix, then that's what is bad. if it needs a bendix, the number is 381-353 or 380-895

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)