Come participate in our American V-Twin and Metric motorcycle tech forums
Welcome to J&P Cycles Technical Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
'66 Triumph Bonneville Chopper
Sat, Sep 24 2016

Downloads: 42
File size: 147.7kB
Views: 495

In the mid 70's, I built this chopper from a stock 1966 Triumph Bonneville 650.  I put on 750 jugs and tweeked the cam timing a bit to get lots of low end torque.  Put larger jets in the stock Amal carbs and added velocity stacks.  Shorty drag pipes with no mufflers (yes, I got a couple of tickets for noise).  I raked the frame and installed 18" over-stock chrome moly fork tubes in the stock triple tree.  Welded-on a rigid tail and built the seat to fit the frame and covered it in green vinyl myself.  Painted the beast metalic green with white pin stripping. With the small sporty tank I had to stop for fuel every 50 miles or so, but with the full rigid frame that was good to give the kidneys a rest.

40 years ago there weren't as many options for custom parts as there are today, so the only "fancy" additions were the chrome hexagon oil tank, the sporty gas tank, sissy bar, pull back handlebars and head light.  Would have liked to had a chrome chain guard, but couldn't find one.

Nowadays, I'm in my 70's and ride a Road Star 1700 Midnight Star which is smooth, quiet and powerful.